Which 5 speed Transmission for 2002 conversion and why?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've seen alot of talk and tech about using the 80-83 320i Gertrag 245 transmission but am worried my long garaged 2002 has a bit too much power for this one. My Gertrag 232 transmission blew once and quickly got way too sloppy a second time after I added dual Weber 40 DCOE's and a 3/4 race cam and a few other bolt ons to my balanced engine with .010 milled head. The car was never dynoed but I suppose the engine made close to 200 hp.

Will a 325i Getrag 260.0.1270.90 transmission work in a 2002 5 speed conversion?

Guest Anonymous

units. There are two factors arguing against using many of the later units - other than those from E30 M3s and E9 big sixes, most will not bolt up to an M10 engine (different bell-housing bolt pattern), and virtually all of them other than the 80-82 245 (the '83 320 5 speed has a different case) require significant transmission tunnel modifications.

Guest Anonymous

I'd guess more like 130. . . Anyway, avoid the '83 E21 five speed, it has lighter gear selector shafts. How did you blow up the tranny the first time? If you're speed shifting, I don't think any Getrag will stand the abuse. . .

If you're doing the swap, put in a S14 pressure plate. They're not all that expensive (big surprise to me) and they'll hold the extra HP without slipping.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

My e21 turbo is make torque(not to mention hp) your car could only dream about and I run the 245 (80-82 not 83 which is different and weaker), used if for many years with just redline MTL, lots of track use never a problem.

Guest Anonymous

I'd have to say it was spirited shifting but not power shifting. I was a pretty fast double clutcher back then.

• 14 years later...

I spotted a Gertrag 5 speed on Ebay for a nice price. It is listed as a 242/245 from a 1980 320I. Is that a false description? The case numbers are: 242.0.325.00.  What is the difference between a 242 & 245 of that year? Is there a preference? My intention is to install the proper mate in to my 73 2002.  Thanks,