Sometimes, you gotta wonder what people are thinking ...….

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Yesterday afternoon, I’m waiting for my turn at the local BMW store’s parts counter to order a couple of battery cable grommets while one of the parts guys helps the fella in front of me. He’s ordering all manner of fufu stuff for a ’99 M3 cabrio – euro turn signal and tail-light lenses, carpet mats, etc, etc. A couple of bits have to be ordered, so they’re discussing when the parts will be in and what needs to be paid for in advance when he makes the comment that “it doesn’t matter to me – the mom is paying for it”.

Turns out the car is going to a 15 ½ year old kid who’s just getting his LEARNER’S PERMIT – the guy buying the parts said the kid’s mom wrote a check for $32 large to buy her son an E46 M3 cab (plus all the fufu stuff he wanted added on) to learn to drive on! I figure sometime around Christmas (when the kid gets his license) there’ll be a balled up M3 in one of the local yards and the kid will be in line for a nice Christmas present – what do you move up to – a Z8 at 16?

Guest Anonymous

I was limping my tii down the 5 freeway to the

mechanic, in the 2nd furthest lane to the right, so

as to give people two lanes to pass, i wasnt

pushing my car harder than 50mph. This

brand-new e46 m3 rides my ass for a good ten

minutes, he had hundreds of opportunities to

pass, i think he even honked once. Needless to

say he got the one-fnger solute once while he was

on my rear bumper and once more when he finally

decided to pass me.

being finals week for me i got to thinking of a BMW

test that a customer should have to pass before

being allowed to purchase an M car. =/

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like a Granite Bay High School kid. You would be amazed at the cars you see in the parking lot there. Unbelievable.

On a positive note, my 14 year old son would prefer to have a modified 2002 over a new(er) BMW. Its working!! 8-)

Guest Anonymous

whatever they want. A few years ago when I was in High school the parking lot was all BMW and MB. yeah my first car was a BMW, but I built it with my dad it was 24 years old at the time and I still drive it today. I love the 2002.

Leif

Guest Anonymous

I also think there should be some HP/Torque to age/driving experience. What are the parents ON?

Or maybe the kid-spoiling is supposed to compensate for lack of time they spend with the kid.

Guest Anonymous

car takes himself out, he generally has somebody with him (as often as not his girlfriend) who gets it too, not to mention the other car(s) and people who have the misfortune to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when he loses it, so they get whacked as well.

Unfortunately, there have been several kids killed in this area in the last year or so who were passengers in the wrong car at the wrong time.

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/ths916m3/myhomepage/auto.html?mtbrand=AOL_US

I remember a couple years ago when I was living in Natomas, there was an accident around the block from my house. Turned out it was some high school kid and his girlfriend in his new(er) mustang racing some contour. I guess the mustang lost control and hit a tree. Guess who was the one that lost their life...it was the girlfriend. You guys from Sac. might remember that one. I remembered it every day I drove home, because the friends and family made a makeshift shrine of flowers and candles almost everyday. Really gets me thinking because for me that was like 10 years ago. I was like that and I guess I'm lucky I never had to go through that.

Guest Anonymous

...a far better investment would be driving lessons at a high performance driving school like Bondurant, IMHO.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

-Spiderman

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

I dont know how I feel about that scenerio: probably most concerned about other peoples' cars when/if the kid bends his permit gift. Then again, who knows... maybe the kid is a prodigee and will pilot the car with skill and forethought. Remember- there are some very skilled drivers coming up through the Kart ranks who are that age and who can drive responsibly and fast. Sure, I am a little jealous, but, then again, out here in SFO, an E46 M3 doesnt get a second look from most people... the classics always get smiles and thumbs -up. The E46s mostly get another digit "up".///