'84 318i ignition.... ANY insights appreciated...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all!! (Hi AlC ;p) Im trying to get my e21 motor to fire in my '02... had no luck with the e21 iggy module and cannot find a Volvo locally to give up its iggy harness/module... we DO have an '84 318i junker here at the shop, so just some questions:

1. does the 318i dizzy turn clockwise (02-style) or counter-clockwise (e21-style)?

2. will the dizzy fit in an e21 (320i) motor??

3. i see the iggy module has a similar (to the e21 320i) green 2-wire cable that goes to the dizzy and then a five-connector cable that disappears into the wiring harness (havent looked into it much yet... need to get permission from boss to tear into the thing). What do these five wires go to? i assume there are ground, +12v, -side of coil, ... and two others... any ideas? Im about to look at the ALLDATA thing here to see what i can figger out, but if anyone has fooled with this before, let me know!! TIA!!!!

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

Check the arrow on the distributor for roation direction.

It will fit the motor.

The wires go to a module that should be mounted on the firewall. It is about 1" x 2" and is bolted to a heat sink. That is the ignition module.

Good Luck,

Mike(#87)

Guest Anonymous

but where do the five wires coming out of it go? really im only unsure of two (one is power, one ground, and one neg coil hookup, leaving two unaccounted for ones)... in addition to the two which obviously go to the dizzy itself...

-Rob