• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inexpensive Mechanical Fuel pump swap

nbristow01

Probably been mentioned 1000 times so here is 1001. If your mechanical fuel pump takes a dive you can use a fuel pump from a 1974 VW beetle. Must specifiy 1974 beetle with alternator, not generator. I have run mine for about 25k miles, cost about 35 bucks. I have run up to 5500RPM with no issues. You can not use that thick plastic spacer with it. Just bolts right to the head. I drive every day even in 108 heat and no issues

post-17424-1366764735781_thumb.jpg

post-17424-13667647359469_thumb.jpg

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I've never heard of it, but then again, I have only been on the forum actively for about a year.

I'm sure my pump is ready to start giving out any day now, maybe I'll grab one to keep as a spare in the car. (yes, I'm that cheap)

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

Great tip, Nick. I just looked it up at Arizona Autohaus and their pictures sure look like you have the one for a generator car, not the alternator model. Do they have their photos swapped?

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=bhgy2prkx2ro0k452c41sg55&makeid=800026@VW&modelid=1368840@BEETLE%20&year=1974&cid=22@Fuel%20%26%20Air%20System&gid=10431@Fuel%20Pump,%20Mechanical

2 bbl air cleaner, it looks like that VW pump--being larger in diameter than the stock Pierburg--will hit the air cleaner's underside.

My OEM pump actually touches the air cleaner when mounted on a Weber 32/36, and the friction over the years actually rubbed a hole in the pump cover so that it quit functioning. Had to remove the cover, solder up the hole and then make a rubber pad to keep it from happening again.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If you use the alum. spacer (ala Jam Eng'r.) between the carb and the stock air cleaner housing you will not have any interference problems like Mike describes. I did have a friend mill about 3mm off the spacer which eliminated interference with the underside of the hood.

Bob Napier

Guest Anonymous

Valve cover: RTV applied with trowel or expanding urethane foam? Usually, no sealant is required. Makes checking valve lash . . . messy.

Radiator neck shows evidence of overflow. 108 degrees and no issues? Better check that fluid level.

Nick,

Beware, the "thick plastic spacer" besides being a spacer also is an electrical insulator. (ie. galvanic corrosion, static charge buildup, etc.). You will also notice there are (or supposed to be) nylon spacers like busings under the washer/nut on the studs that hold the pump in place. I don't know the consequences of not having the insulation installed, but there must have been a reason, BMW didn't install that stuff for no reason.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

HA I was waiting for a comment about the nice thick mess of Yamabond on the valve cover. Thats getting replaced this weekend when I check valves and new valve cover gasket. Radiator? That is from a bad cap a month back

Back to the purpose of the thread.....the fuel pump is the same size as the BMW pump but may sit a hair higher...not sure there. I have the nylon washer spacers for the bolts and nuts. the thicker black bakelite type item was more for keeping the fuel from boiling out of the pump similar to the one for the carbs. The VW pump does not have the longer arm so it just bolts right in place using the BMW rod. If you do some research you will see only BMW used the plastric spacer at the head. All other applications, mostly VW, bolted right to the motor with no explosions I know of.

At any rate if you don't want to plop down a 100 plus bucks for a fuel pump there is a direct bolt on application that is affordable and easy to find

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle