• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery kill switch?

Koblenz

yes - easy - install at the negative cable

HELLA

hla-002843011_w.jpg

look at your racer supply catalogs

it also eliminates small voltage draws from

faulty alternator diodes, massive stereo installations,

and long periods of inactivity

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

yep. mine is in trunk. i do have a small bypass wire around it with a 10a fuse. this is so you can take the "key" out of the switch to turn it off, but the small fuse will still keep the radio memory alive.

if someone trys to start car with key or screwdriver, the amps pulled immediately blows the tiny fuse and car goes dead. (have done this many times accidentally...i keep a stash of spare 10a fuses...)

2xM3

yep. mine is in trunk. i do have a small bypass wire around it with a 10a fuse. this is so you can take the "key" out of the switch to turn it off, but the small fuse will still keep the radio memory alive.

if someone trys to start car with key or screwdriver, the amps pulled immediately blows the tiny fuse and car goes dead. (have done this many times accidentally...i keep a stash of spare 10a fuses...)

Mlytle, any picture of the set up please?

I have one in the trunk too. Bought it from Jegs, and mounted it to the TEP battery rack in the trunk.

It's really easy to add.

Once, when I parked my 2002 at the airport, I turned the switch and locked the trunk. Never worried it'd get stolen.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Mlytle, any picture of the set up please?

i am sure there are several in my 14 page M2 thread...;-)

it is the normal mount in the TEP rear bar already mentioned. just added a simple inline fused wire accross the terminals.

old pic. inline fuse is behind the switch.

DSCN3551.jpg

2xM3

yes - easy - install at the negative cable

HELLA

hla-002843011_w.jpg

look at your racer supply catalogs

it also eliminates small voltage draws from

faulty alternator diodes, massive stereo installations,

and long periods of inactivity

AMERICAN, THE BEST

the america one does not have a removable switch key like the hella does.

2xM3

Yes I have one it in the trunk also. I love it because I never have dead battery anymore. The best part is the anti-theft part. I have a bypass wire that feeds the accessory panel so if you try to crank it without the battery switch on all you can hear is the selinoid click. the radio & lights work with the key but just wont crank. I used an E30 cable and junction box up front. You can see the fuse-able link above the battery switch and the cable comes in from the left.

Hope that helps.

IMG_2309.jpg

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

Assuming you have your battery in a place where you can mount a kill switch, you can do this.

Run the existing ground wire (the one coming from the battery) to one side of the kill switch. Make up another ground wire to go between the other side of the switch to the ground point. You will need some welding cable or battery wire from junk yard. Affixing the grommets on cable this big can be challenging. They make a tool that can do this. You put the cable in the grommet and whack it with a hammer to crimp it.

Now you have your kill switch.

To add the fuse.

Most auto stores will have a 10amp fuse hooked to about 10" of wire. The wire is usually red. Put grommets on both ends of the wire and attach one end of wire to each side of the switch.

Batterycablewhacker.jpg

IMG_8484.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5