• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to me 2002 Tii in TURKIS but strange noises and sagging

austinmf

Well, finally paid and brought her home! Love the car and hooked.. Spending lots of money on things it does not have to have...but could use. :) wife is NOT happy as we sold a very low mile, excellent Lexus...that had a nice leather smell. She is not so hot on the subtle hint of 93 octane.

Questions: It is making a noise that sounds like the fan is touching something. I am already planning a 320 radiator and electric fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLsq28sFbQ

Also noticed, 3 tires have gaps of 1.5 inches between the tire and fender and one (driver rear) is 1 inch lower and inside the fender. So the car is sitting at an angle. Are there spacers that I need to pull from the other wheels or add the the rear?

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Hmm. Shut it off and wiggle the fan. See if the water pump shaft has play (= replace pump before driving!).

Sounds a bit like a belt slapping, though. Look for that, and at the alternator mount bushings.

GL,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Seems that you should have some recourse with the seller. Thats the kind of stuff they should have either mentioned, or fixed before selling. Seems odd for a reputable shop to ship a product with two very obvious issues, right? Just saying, I would have a hard time not picking up the phone.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

and if it is not a tii (i think this is the car without the tii motor?)

stop refering to as a tii because any diagnosis of running

problems lead to different solution - it's no longer a "tii" - sorry

back to the noise:

look also at the exhaust header pipe touching

the passenger floor where it bends

next to the transmission - it will tap tap tap on the floor

during loads. exhaust touching anywhere elso, poorly

supported will cause 'fan' type tapping noises

motor mount trouble?

bad water pump ?

bad alternator?

really bad fuel pump, can be loose also?

exhaust leaks?

and after watching your vid - DO NOT DRIVE THAT CAR UNTILL YOU HAVE LOCATED THE CAUSE OF THAT NOISE!!

RETURN TO THE SELLER ASAP - DIDN'T THIS CAR INCLUDE A WARRANTY?

TIME TO SEE IF THAT'S TRU?

THAT IS A VERY BAD NOISE - DO NOT DRIVE

RIDE HEIGHT - UNEVEN - DRUPPY BUTT:

no not normal - yes the rear has 3-thickness rubber spring seats installed at the top of the rear springs.

easy to see with a flash light. hope that is all because other causes for uneven ride height could envolve more than just a new rubber ring!

and when looking at the rear - it does appear that the left rear has dropped and the right rear is lifted abit! not happy

$(KGrHqYOKjoE3uFdB,o-BN-QWK7HWg~~_12.JPG

and looking further - this car has AIR CONDITIONING!

that is where your noise is coming from - nasty compressor , clutch bearing gone bad, belt tensioner gone bad?, compressor coming off of mounting bracket?

$(KGrHqMOKowE3HO5uW8KBN-Q(ijYy!~~_12.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Seems that you should have some recourse with the seller. Thats the kind of stuff they should have either mentioned, or fixed before selling. Seems odd for a reputable shop to ship a product with two very obvious issues, right? Just saying, I would have a hard time not picking up the phone.

it's probably a bad alternator bushing and it will be much quicker and easier to simply replace it yourself...that's how i'd handle it...these are used cars....that said, one might expect that you would have noticed that before bringing her home

turkis....best color for an o2, imo ...rare too...

missing spring spacer to a sagging or broken spring, to problems with a subframe mount or a damaged trailing arm. Regardless, you'll need to get underneath and do a careful inspection of the rear suspension - hopefully it's just missing a spring spacer (if that's the case and the car was purchased from a shop, I'd be a bit suspicious of any other work they did - a missing spacer is NOT something a shop should miss).

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Thanks for all the replies... I do have a warranty. The shop is reputable so they will make it right. It does have AC and the ac has been problematic.

Here was the description of the vehicle: Terry Sayther Automotive is proud to offer this meticulously maintained, beautiful 1974 BMW 2002 for sale. This car was a 2002tii and still

has tii short block, etc., though ancillary mechanical injection parts have been removed. This is a no rust car originally from the west

Texas desert. A reliable daily driver with plenty of pep all the while only sipping fuel. Interior is very clean; car has no sunroof to leak or break.

Production date is 06/1974, VIN: 2782194, 71,937 miles on the clock (actual mileage unknown).

The high points: Car has very cold Clardy AC system, Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks and struts, 5-speed manual transmission, no rust, tii

heritage, many new parts, recent tuning, long history at Terry Sayther Automotive, recent turkis/turquoise paint, Nardi wooden steering wheel,

13" Alpina alloy wheels with recent tires, functioning tii dash-mounted clock, sheepskin seat covers.

Am I wrong in thinking the only reason it is not a Tii is it is missing fuel injection?

The sound seems to be coming from the alternator or water pump. I almost think it is the fan blades. It seems to wobble. I have to drive it 30 miles to get it to service.

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Fan is tight with zero play even though its orbit is off axis. I am thinking the sound is coming from the ac compressor....

Still have not looked at the suspension although I did examine it on a lift. It is headed to the mechanic.

There is a local guy with a 2002 that might take a peak at it. I am just not sure what is right in these. This is my first one and I have been in love since I saw one in Roundel.

ok... the car sat for 24 hours and the sagging is gone on the drivers side... Is that tired springs?

By the way, I am digging turkis!!! Love the color!

More likely to be something like binding suspension parts..If thats true. Get your mechanic to look at the rear trailing arms for signs of twisted or bent metal, or shot bushings..

The spring may have slowly pushed that corner of the car back up it was binding.

BAD:

90493ac7.jpg

Good:

fc5817aa.jpg

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002