• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often should one drive a "pleasure" car?

johns1974

Obviously - "As often as possible!"

Now that we have that out of the way - If you have a nice '02 as a second or third car, what's the minimum you should drive it to keep it "fresh"? In the old days, Sunday drives were the thing to do... Is that enough to keep a 40 year old car running well?

I notice that the more I drive mine, the better it runs (up to a point). I wouldn't drive mine cross country at this stage. If you park yours, what is the longest you'll let it sit where you notice things ain't quite right?

The older I get the more I realize how much my car and I have in common:

-I can't do many of the things I used to do but I still sometimes think I can

-The more i exercise the better i feel

-Sitting around and doing nothing is the worst thing I can do to myself

-I'm still capable of more at this age than almost all my friends and most of the guys 10-15 years younger

-If i push myself too hard, I always feel it the day after!

'74 2002 (Non-Op)

'74 2002 (Good to go)

Mine isn't quite ready for major road use yet, but it is not that far off either. My problem is it is insured as a Historic specialty car, and not for daily driving. I suppose I could alter that if it is the funnest car to drive. I drove a VR6 Corrado as a daily from 1994 till mine got wrecked 2 years ago.. It was a Fun car to drive every day. I hope to get another 20 years from now.

(The 2002 of the 90's)

Bob S.

important - every time it's started - you drive it

a min. of time/miles for all the fluids to reach full operating

temps. Usually that's 1/2 hour or 10 miles - min.

if the gas is getting stale? then it's sitting too long

if the battery voltage is dropping then it's sitting too long

if mice and spyders visit the car then it's sitting too long

the shorter the drives - the more often you need to

change the oil because of gas delution

flush the brake / clutch fluid once a year !

the older i get the faster i was

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I try to take mine for a spirited drive at least once a week. Since I work from home, I sometimes have to make an excuse to take a "lunch break" drive. And it's hard to get the motivation to take it real far when it's 100+ outside. But a few minutes behind the wheel reminds me why I have an '02.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

+1 What CD wrote.

Very important to get the engine up to complete running temperature every time the car is started. Otherwise you will experience premature failure of the head gasket. Failing to get it up to temp causes excessive expansion and contraction causing it to fracture around the cylinder walls.

Best case scenario drive it every chance you get, weather permitting.

Bare minimum every other week.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I understand the benefits of getting it up to full op temp, but 30 min/10 mi EVERY time I start the car is impractical to the point that this "rule" cannot be followed in the real world. A rule that can't be followed isn't really a rule at all. I guess maybe I'll have to quit taking my 02 to the store for milk and bread now. Too bad about those darned rules.

What I actually do is get my 02 out of the garage for a week about once a month and use it as my daily driver as much as possible during that week. I try to get in at least one long drive toward the end of the week before I park it again. If I were really motivated I'd wash it at the end too. By the end of a week I start remembering all the things that bug me about driving it (esp the gas smell) and I don't really mind parking it again and getting back into my "luxury" pickup for the rest of the month.

-Rojo

Guest Anonymous
I understand the benefits of getting it up to full op temp, but 30 min/10 mi EVERY time I start the car is impractical to the point that this "rule" cannot be followed in the real world. A rule that can't be followed isn't really a rule at all. I guess maybe I'll have to quit taking my 02 to the store for milk and bread now. Too bad about those darned rules.

What I actually do is get my 02 out of the garage for a week about once a month and use it as my daily driver as much as possible during that week. I try to get in at least one long drive toward the end of the week before I park it again. If I were really motivated I'd wash it at the end too. By the end of a week I start remembering all the things that bug me about driving it (esp the gas smell) and I don't really mind parking it again and getting back into my "luxury" pickup for the rest of the month.

-Rojo

It seems that you do not enjoy your 2002 as much anymore. I suggest you fix the stuff that bug you or sell it to someone who will. Gas smells are common on 2002s but they are mandatory.

I am not suggesting that your 2002 has to be a daily driver. The creature comforts are lacking by design especially during foul weather. But for an occasional drive, even to work, when it's nice out, nothing beats the 2002. And I have 10 other BMWs to choose from.