• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1800Ti Suspension Bits

Mike_B

After searching for the better part of a year on a performance suspension setup and coming up with a bunch of NLA, I contacted Ground Control to work their magic on my early NK struts. I couldn't be happier with the work from Jay and the crew. The parts looks fantastic, now I just need to get my act together and spend some time getting things R&R'd.

I'm sure everyone knows what a Ground Control setup looks like, but who doesn't like a few photos of shiny, clean suspension bits???

P1030149.JPG

Nice gusset for added stiffness.

P1030150.JPG

No need to worry about NLA strut top bearings any more.

P1030158.JPG

Yes, they used my struts. I just sent them everything from the front and a rear shock/spring. GC asked about the intended use of the car, engine, weight, etc... and came up with the valving and spring rate. To be honest, I haven't checked the springs to see what they are. I'll just mount 'em up and see how it goes.

I picked up Kris' old RM's from his black car when he went to the Equips. They should look pretty cool in contrast to the lovely patina that the car currently sports. Hmmm, RM's or TiSA steelies - it's a fun choice!

Mike,

What a dilemma on the wheels! Nice position to be in!It's gonna look SHARP!

Im lookin forward o the day when and if we can ever get us all lined up at a meet and show the '02 crowd what we've got!

Good luck!

Rey

I'm a BMW Zombie and there's no cure!

Great news Mike. I would like to see some pics of the car, now or whenever,

Nate

Sadly it's in the same state as my last update in the build blog. I've got the panel cut to replace the trunk floor, but just haven't had time to weld it in place. Once that's done, it's time to hit the rear floors. The suspension work seems so far out... I'm so impressed by people who can make real progress on a regular basis. I'm just a "parts accumulator" right now. Heck, I literally have everything to build up a stroker and haven't made the time to drop of the parts at Ben's.

Mike, what a great lookin' piece of kit you've got there! What are you gonna do for rear springs??

How on earth did you get GC to finish them. I've been calling them a few a week for months trying to get my set finished!

Also, I feel you in the parts collector department. It feels like I'm in a constant state of limbo on my own (and my Dad's) cars while I finish those of others.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Mike, what a great lookin' piece of kit you've got there! What are you gonna do for rear springs??

How on earth did you get GC to finish them. I've been calling them a few a week for months trying to get my set finished!

Also, I feel you in the parts collector department. It feels like I'm in a constant state of limbo on my own (and my Dad's) cars while I finish those of others.

Funny you should ask about the rear springs. I was unpacking the remainder of the shipment from GC and there were no rear springs! We had forgot to spec them through the process, so I called Jay and he suggested some 600lb'ers. There is some extra weight in these cars vs. 2002's so I'm curious to see how they feel.

Mike, there is very little extra weight in your 1800 Ti.... About 2450lbs wet where a '76 '02 weighs about 2500.......

better rethink those rear spring rates... what are the fronts BTW?

They usually rec about 300 ft and 400 rear for '02s.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20