• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing and points experts ***solved***

JLENHAM

I traced a no spark condition to worn points. Ordered new but received wrong part for 008 distributor.

Questions:

1. Can anyone confirm correct points part number I have 9 237 013 044, so I need 9 237 013 054?

2. Cleaned up old points to get the car running, checked dwell at 1400RPM, had to reduce gap from .016 severely to get dwell anywhere close to correct, ended up with 55. Adjusted distributor to see half ball on flywheel and then tried to set timing. Had to turn distributor until running very poorly to even begin to see the marks. Would you guess the distributor was 180 degrees out of phase? Once I have the correct points should I remove valve cover, establish TDC, remove and reset distributor? Just tune to ear?

Don't know much about the history of the car, engine is matching numbers, distributor looks like a new/rebuilt unit. What have I left out that would be helpful?

Thanks!

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

your dwell is checked at cranking

speed with the plugs removed

59 degrees of dweel would be golden

maybe a new set of points with new rubbing

block would help

FT1V4.gif

special BOSCH or Delco cam grease

keeps the dist. cam lobes and point rubbing

block healthy, and a few drops of motor oil

dripped into the center shaft - worked down

under the felt pad keeps the mechanical advance

unit free swinging. you should have a spring

returning of the rotor/advance when you twist it.

if you can't rotate and spring back the rotor,

your mechanical advance is TOAST.

or 0.016" feeler gap gets you close

if your distributor has any vacuum hoses,

disconnect them while checking the timing

with your strobe light at 1400 rpm.

Reconnect the hoses after the distributor is set.

then adjust your idle mixture and idle

speed to 800 +/- rpm to smoothest idle

02IGNITIONTIMING.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

dwell and gap should be measuring the same thing - set the dwell correctly and don't worry about the gap. Then set the timing. If the distributor was 180 degrees off the car wouldn't run. Make sure the spark plug wires are in the right order.

New points are on the way, and will go back through the steps again when I change them out.

I agree that the distributor is not 180 degrees off. I was able to turn the distributor to get the ball on the flywheel correct at 1400 RPM, but not the marks on the crank shaft pully. I had to turn the distributor a lot to even begin to see the marks, to the point where it running very poorly.

Is it correct thinking that the distributor could be set up to allow for the correct firing order and timing but be 180 degrees out of phase with the crank pully? If so, should I mess with setting in right if the ball at the flywheel is an accurate measure of timing?

Thanks

Well, points cost $4, so I am cheap for one.

I also like the idea of being able to diagnose and trouble shoot as many componants as possible, I need fewer boxes and wires in my life!

But I do understand the electric option and the desire for some to make the change.

the electronic side of the room

carries the orig point parts in their trunk,

and need them often

if your points hickup - all you need is a business card

to clean and go

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

I think you should stop worrying about the 180 degree off question. Set the dwekk, set the timing by the ball on the flywheel and she's good to go.

Set the ball on the flywheel, forget the crankshaft pulley. The flywheel is the correct and most accurate one. When you have the ball set, you have the tming set. Pulleys can be interchanged and different and wrong.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Thanks guys,

That makes my life a lot easier. I will proceed with that plan.

As a side note, I ordered the Bosch points for my model year, but they are the wrong "hand," my distributor must have been replaced and is the 008 model. In an effort to get the right "hand" cheaply I went to the local Zone/Vance/Reilly around the corner, they were able to supply the part, but the quality is visably not as good as the Bosch. I will pick up a Bosch set ASAP.

I put in the new points last night, set the dwell and timing by the flywheel ball and am good to go.

I am impressed again by how these cars respond to simple tune up items. Idle is much improved, no hesitation on acceleration (may have also been due to fuel pump going out, also replaced) pulls from low RPM and (so far) seems less inclined to run on at shut off.

I had to learn how to work on the points, having done so, I would guess that for $75 bucks (points, rotor, cap, wires and plugs) and an hour of work, alot of 02's would run much better.

Thanks again for the guidance. Now on to the next thing, not sure if that will be the creaky steering or the rust that I discovered recently. Heck, probably just drive for a while.