801 cam

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi all,

I am new here so please excuse any inexperience. in the area of 02's however I have had 4, and am getting another. I run an 02 in hte SCCA ITB class. a little background. I have heard about a BMW part # 801 cam. a little more aggressive but still a stock part. does anyone know if this is still available, if its worth the trouble, (every little bit of hp helps as it compensates for the lack of brakes), and or where i might find one.

thanks for any help,

regards,

Cory

75 02

Guest Anonymous

what pads are you using? I thought ducts were allowed in ITB, and with good pads and shoes, you should be ok. The Hawk Blues are hard on the rotors, but stop wonderfully... repeatedly!

t

Guest Anonymous

I raced ITB for 8 years. I found the Porterfield R4 compound to work the best for me. The Porterfield pads have a ceramic coating that helps keep heat out of the brake fluid. I use Ford brake fluid (550 degrees dry boiling point and cheap). Good luck. G

Guest Anonymous

I think this is what you are talking about, it is the only legal alternate cam allowed for an 02 in ITB.

What is that ***801 part number about?

Guest Anonymous

thanks for all the help. the 801 is the part # end three numbers. does that make sense. this is what I was told. im not even sure if its an increase in lift or just duration.

Cory

Guest Anonymous

that is basically what i am looking for. but this one is a bmw part not reground. but maybe i can use this one. thanks

Guest Anonymous

unfortunately i have metal masters on it now. they make a lot of dust but dont stop real well. they have over heated before and the pedal is a bit low. but that might be b/c the shoes are almost done in the back. i am going to try the porterfields i think this year. i have had hawks on other cars and may go with them as well. i have ducts on the car and they helped alot. i think im going to have to try a few different compunds to see what i like.

thanks,

Cory

Guest Anonymous

The 2002 does not lack for brakes. With Hawk Blues, and good brake fluid (the Ford stuff is great) I never had a brake problem in ITB. The car is now in F Production and I'm still exploring the limits but I don't expect any problems.