• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rebuilding a 1 barrel Solex

Nicad

I ran some fuel injection cleaner through my recently acquired stock 72 and it started to run poorly. It refuses to idle, power is down. WHen I pulled the plugs, they are black. I plan on rebuilding the carb as an interim step in it's basic tune up before I plan my next move with the car, which could either be trying my hand at a megasquirt m10, an S14 conversion or just something like a weber 38 with a 292 cam. Still pondering the direction I want to take the car.

Anyway, how does the 1 barrel rate compared to the 73 and up two barrels?

My goal for the car is one that naturally pulls to redline and makes you want to do it often. ANy tips on the 1 barrel appreciated. Anything I should make sure the rebuild kit includes?

Bob S.

just clean all the jets and passage ways on your SOLEX first,

adjust the gas pedal linkage to open the carb FULL OPEN

with the pedal held to the floor

invest in a timing light and dwell meter (that will also

provide you with a Volt/Ohm meter for repairing your

old electrics) and set the timing "BALL" at 1500 rpm

with the vac hose disconnected from the distributor while checking

adjust your valves COLD to 0.006" (do this first with a compression test!)

forget the magasqirt stuff - fix what the factory gave you first

properly and you'll be passing everyone and collecting

speeding tickets

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I did a compression test and got a mixed bag. Cylinders 1,3,4 were around 155-160. Cylinder 2 was 148. added a squirt of oil and 2 went up a small amount. I wrote the numbers on the garage wall and this is basically what I remember.

Bob S.

Thanks for the tips C.D. In reading some of your other posts on carbs, I see you mention that new jets make a big difference. My car has about 110,000 miles on it . I see on Maximillian's site that they have a $114 rebuild kit. No mention if this includes jets, etc. The Ebay kit for $14 is a Carter part number. It seems to have gaskets and an accelerator pump and I am assuming float needle. Are these parts in your experience equivalent to OE quality? There is also a $40 BMW gasket kit, which I guess does not include the float needle.

Tia. Bob.

Bob S.

Easy job--you can even make the two gaskets necessary for the rebuild.

Jets take a long time to wear out--mine are still original after 42 years and 223k miles. You may need a new accelerator pump diaphragm, though; they're not hard to find.

Solex 1 bbls are very reliable and long lasting--too bad the 2 bbls aren't the same.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Clean it. Then replace the pump diaphragm if it needs it.

Those carbs are pretty darn nice, as Mike says, with the exception

of the choke mechanism, which never made any sense to me...

And megasquirt is great for people who like it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL