Compression Numbers Good, but Still Blows Oil

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok....I need some engine rebuild advice.

I bought a wreck of a 76 pastelblau at auction.

It literally has the most pristine dash I have ever seen. Not only ZERO cracks but still the vinyl is

still soft and supple.

Not much rust though, so it is saveable and I

think, too good to be a parts car.

The good:

Compression numbers came back good....all between

130-140. The car actually has nice torque and pull.

No tranny nor differential whine.

The bad:

She's a "smoker". Pull out the dip stick and watch the bluish wisps fly by. I sense a quart every 500 miles. Ugh!

The question:

Can I nurse an engine like this along just by keeping the oil topped off? That is, this car is destined for me anyway, to be a driver. An in-town driver while I restore my 71 roundie which is my true love. Am I risking a catastrophic engine failure by not rebuilding it. What are your opinons?

Jerry

Guest Anonymous

sig.jpg

put a few drops of oil onto the pistons through the spark plug holes and do a compression test. if the numbers stay the same then it's the head. if they get better, it's the rings. leak down test will give you more acurate results.

steve

Guest Anonymous

my old motor had 130 compression across the board, and used lots of oil... maybe 1 quart every 300 miles. Turned out that a single intake valve seal was leaking profusely (this on a head that had been rebuilt <25K miles earlier).

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

if it's been sitting for a while, the oil consumption may actually get better,a s the seals soften with use, adn the rings reseat.

But probably not.

1 qt every 500 is the low end for acceptable- as long as you keep the level up, you'll be fine.

I use half a qt in 100 mi on the track- and in 1500 miles on the street. It's only excessive if you get behind me in a corner....t

t