• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Source for Blaupunkt (vintage) speaker connectors?

malagalaga

Two little round male ends... I have no idea where to find these! They would plug into holes like this:

102567d1210693862-source-vintage-blau-speaker-plugs-dsc00330.jpg

But my head unit has three holes... what's the third one do? I tried searching online and only found a source in Germany for the connectors and no information on the third hole.

Please help! It's for what I believe is a late '60s (a little early for my car, but I like the look) Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM/FM/SW.

btw... will the SW be useful at all? Anything on SW any more?

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

I found a source in Germany

You mean this guy? He has everything.

http://www.koenigs-klassik-radios.de/content/kontakt/

Yup... I'm hoping to find a local-ish source. Will try Radio Shack in the morning, but I'm hoping someone can chime in with more details. I hate going to Radio Shack with "uh I'm looking for something about yay long and yay tall..."

And, Jason, I think Blau changed the design to one round and one flat male end (insert joke here) in the mid '70s.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

Makes sense! I think I have an older one... none like the one you have.

Looks like a banana plug would fit fine.

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Wait - now that I look at the photo again, it looks like this is a mono radio?

If that is the case, the bottom one with the ground symbol is the negative speaker output, the top one is the positive...

Stereo would have two sets of pos/neg, one for left, one for right?

Not intimate with the older blaupunkts...

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Wait - now that I look at the photo again, it looks like this is a mono radio?

If that is the case, the bottom one with the ground symbol is the negative speaker output, the top one is the positive...

Stereo would have two sets of pos/neg, one for left, one for right?

Not intimate with the older blaupunkts...

~Jason

Sorry for the confusion... that's a photo I found online. Here's a pic of the side of my amp/power pack:

ampd.jpg

My radio is a 67ish Frankfurt X-series (too old for my car, yes).

I found some good information online, but I still can't figure out what the extra hole does.

http://www.type34.com/blogs/scotttaylor/2008/07/19/nos-blaupunkt-frankfurt-us-amfmshortwave-radio/

http://derwhites356literature.com/DerWhitesBlaupunktRadios.html

[/img]

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

Looks like it's set up to work with either a pair of speakers or a single speaker. If you look at the picture of the speakers near the holes, it shows you how to wire them. It looks like the middle hole is the common ground. If you're using a single speaker, it looks like you use the upper and middle hole. If wiring a pair, you use all three holes. Is there a fader switch for fading between a pair of speakers? Pretty advanced for '67...

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Looks like it's set up to work with either a pair of speakers or a single speaker. If you look at the picture of the speakers near the holes, it shows you how to wire them. If you're using a single speaker, it looks like you just use the lower two holes. If wiring a pair, looks like you use all three holes. Is there a fader switch for fading bewteen a pair of speakers? Pretty advanced for '67...

I don't see a fader switch, although perhaps the right side knob also controls the fader? I haven't had it hooked up to anything yet.

So which input is + and which is - ?

Thanks!

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

I just edited my original reply. I think the common ground is the middle hole. Judging by the looks of the bottom hole, it hasn't been used much, so probably the previous owner only had a single speaker wired.

That's the amp, right? What does the radio look like? I'm an old radio junky.

Here's what the Blaupunkt plugs look like (from Koenigs Klassik-Radios):

m249.jpg

I've bought radios and speakers from Koenigs. It took time to arrive from Germany, but there stuff is top notch. Two of my radios are the Euro LMKU type. I've only been able to get reception on the AM and FM bands. And the FM dial stops at around 104 or so. Mainly use the ipod connector or listen to the sweet sound of the M10 or M30.

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Here is the Becker Europa II radio and separate "box" I pulled from my 73. It had a remote fader mounted in the Behr A/C faceplate.

Weird speaker connectors were used by Becker too.

Is the remote box an amplifier, a splitter, or both??

pics102608030.jpg

pics102608031.jpg

41a945f1.jpg

ea789e9c.jpg

1a6089bc.jpg

3b9a2d8c.jpg

2a767e1d.jpg

a6c344f4.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"