• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FS: 1971 2002ti - SOLD

grbbenny

I own the ti along with one of my brothers. VIN is 1691012. Current mileage is approximately 145,000 miles although the odometer started working intermittently on the last drive. We bought it from the original owner in 2002 (appropriately) - a fellow Canadian who bought the car while overseas and brought it back to Vancouver, Canada. It is completely stock and (nearly) unmodified.

The car has all of the sought after ti features such as a dogleg close ratio 5 speed, wider ti steel wheels, sport steering wheel, crack free two piece dashboard, original small console with AM radio, clock, four blade fan, boxed trailing arms, etc.

Interior

The interior is completely stock. The front seats have sheepskin seat covers but are in good condition although the driver’s seat does have a seam split on the seatback. New carpet kit installed this summer. The original owner installed a Webasto-style sunroof (Weatherford) when new – works well and does not leak.

Exterior

In 1981 the first owner stopped using the car as his daily driver and performed a fairly major ‘restoration’. This resulted in a couple of issues with the car – the front radiator support is a ‘snorkel’ type and the front turn signals are the North American style. Nothing to be done about the snorkel but we do have a couple of sets of Euro turn signals that will come with the car. We were never happy enough with the quality of the used sets we bought to warrant installing them.

In 2008 we spent a pile of cash chasing rust out of the car - mainly the pedal box and driver's side rockers. I would not say the car is completely rust free as I suspect both rockers are still a bit soft in spots but there are no major issues whatsoever.

Lastly, sadly, one of us who shall remain nameless lowered the car off the floor jack last week without confirming everything was out from underneath – the result is a crease in the front valance. The neighbour’s children also now have a jumpstart on their peers in terms of colourful language.

Mechanical

The car has no major issues of any kind. No smoke on acceleration or deceleration, no major syncho issues once the transmission is warmed up, no weird noises. It is currently equipped with twin Weber 40 DCOEs with the stock air box and carburettor linkage rather than the two Solex 40 PHH carburettors that were original equipment on the car. The original Solexes will come with the car, along with a rebuild kit.

Note that the Getrag Close Ratio 5 speed has first gear below reverse while second gears through fifth gear are in the H pattern. Fifth gear is not an overdrive gear and is a 1 to 1 ratio like the 4th gear in the standard 4 speed transmission.

This is how the gear ratios in the two transmissions compare

4-speed 5-speed

1st 3.835 3.368

2nd 2.053 2.16

3rd 1.345 1.579

4th 1.0 1.241

5th - 1.0

Mechanical work completed and parts replaced during the last 9 years.

• Most of the brake system including; master cylinder, wheel cylinders, hoses etc

• KYB struts and shocks

• Strut bearings

• Transmission shift tower and bushings

• Rear exhaust system

• Alternator

• Water pump

• 4 185/70R 13 tires

The car would drive anywhere with no issues

Further, we have some records from the original owner dating back to 1981 showing an engine overhaul at 107K miles and the bodywork for $7800 in 1981 dollars. To put the bodywork into perspective, a new BMW 318i was $14,000.

Photos of the car can be seen using the following link:

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/viewthumb/17624219626-1312387792-97112/parm/page/1/15/

We have decided to sell the car as neither of us use it enough to warrant hanging on to it. We are asking CDN$20,000. Is that fair market value – who knows? There really is no market for this model because they rarely come up for sale. What we do know is that there are reportedly fewer than 50 ti in North America and this is certainly one of the most original examples anywhere.

We are happy to answer questions and provide additional photos. Just let us know.

Thanks for looking.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, it looks like a pretty nice car, but then I'm partial to tis, as I have the ugly twin brother to your car. :)

The only question I'm sure others would be thinking of is whether there is any rust hiding out in the rockers, inner fenders, or shock towers that isn't easily visible. You did a great job of listing info and provided lots of pictures, so no need to ask for more.

vince

I'm kind of surprised too, about the lack of comments.

But maybe it's because the real ti's are so rare, and people seem content to put twin carbs on an 02 and call it a ti.

Here's a link to a so-called ti available in Europe, but with the 12 fuse box and snorkle, it's doubtfully the real McCoy.

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/38167/bmw_2002ti_1972_historic_touring_car.html

There's another one currently out there too.

http://classicandvintagebmw.tumblr.com/post/8476550891

Both beautiful cars, but ti's?

Good luck with sale! (from another Canadian ti owner)

I'm kind of surprised too, about the lack of comments.

But maybe it's because the real ti's are so rare, and people seem content to put twin carbs on an 02 and call it a ti.

i too would have loved to acquire an authentic ti, but have resigned myself to recreating a 'clone'. in fact, i've convinced myself that the real-deal is not worth the premium for the sake of a VIN.

i was once offered a real rusty ti about 5 years ago for $800, but the logistics of exporting a non-registered non-insured canadian car to the US in the timeframe available (before snowfall) was insurmountable.

btw, ti's came with 3-piece dashes and predated 12-fuse bodies and lower trim.

i have managed to obtain an uncracked ti-dash with clock, and 02LSD from a different departed ti from canada.

GLWS

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

And a lurking Canadian Ti owner chimes in (finally time to let it go huh?). I don't think geography is too much of a hurdle for the right buyer and the right car. I sold my 67 Alfa Giulia Sprint Ti a few years back and the deal took less than a week for the buyer in CA to see my ad, send me the funds to the day I drove the Alfa into the back of a vehicle transporter.

Good luck with the sale Mike.

I too have viewed your ad. I'm another ti and tii "interested party", but somehow the funds elude me for an immediate purchase. The fact the car is in Canada also doesn't help us "Southerners".

c6414ba7.jpg

I'm a Canadian ti owner, but living down south now. having moved a few times back and forth and the cross border part should not scare anybody. for these old timers they hardly even look at us anymore, at least moving for CAD to USA they don't. going into Canada wan't too bad either.

70ti, you wouldn't happen to be Murray, would you?

oh, and ON TOPIC, nice looking car for sale, and good luck. for everybody out there who builds clones - we know. we understand. call it a ti clone, but please, don't badge it as a ti.

best regards,

Jon Poole

ps, here is a picture of our ti in 1988, my Dad on the right, Murray on the left.

post-315-13667647214128_thumb.jpg

Really a very cool Ti good luck with the sale. Saw the posting on the German Cars for Sale Blog http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/ and came here looking to post it for everyone to see, looks like you had he good idea to post it here as well. :)

Anyone else notice the close ratio 5 speed is a factory install? Love the original CR 5spd shift knob. Did a little post on those a while back....

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,327281

Cheers,

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20