Exhaust work gone to hell, need some opinions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

all3sm.jpg

So i got my new ireland step headers on friday and got them installed on the car and everything and took it to the nearest muffler shop this morning (didnt want to drive far cause damn it was loud). but the nearest shop happened to be midas. I took down my brand new stock resonator and my stock muffler to be fitted on. all i wanted was an adapter made to bolt up to the stock exhaust like my stahl headers were. well midas took that to mean cut up the stock resonator and then reweld it all as one piece (including the muffler). Well now that i got my car back it has no power at all. i literally got outrun by a stock '60s VW bug. I took the car back and was basically told to fuck off. they say its all my problem that they did nothing wrong. Anyone have idea of what i can do? or what i can look at to figure out the problem?

Thanks

Corey

Guest Anonymous

Too bad about your exhaust, but I don't think it is causing the problem. After installing 2" with a free flow muffler I too noticed a significant loss of power. I found that the engine just needed to be reajusted due to the loss of exhaust back pressure. Surprising what simple changes can do to the dynamics of an engine!

Good luck!

Jeff C.

70 Granada 2002 sunroof Mega Squirt EFI

66 Turf 2000a for sale.

Guest Anonymous

air correction jets (what you describe isn't likely caused by your idle jets) and certainly isn't going to be fixed by adjusting your idle mixture.

My advice is to get the Hayden book on tuning Weber carbs, and find someone that has a nice selection of Weber jets you can try. Otherwise at $5.00 each (and you need them in sets of two), it gets to be an expensive source of frustration.

Regards,

John N