• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine oil leak

doug73cs

I have inherited the classic engine rebuild faux pas from the previous owner. The machine shop neglected to plane both the block and timing cover case at the same time and the engine - which runs very well - weeps oil when hot at the head gasket just behind the timing case/block. There were no details on the rebuild but I assume it is to stock specs.

I know the right thing to do would be pull the whole thing and get it decked as a unit but since the engine is good is there any merit in suing RTF gasket sealant? Any experience with this as a fix?

Doug

If we learn from our mistakes does that mean I have to make them all?

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara

The shop manual calls for a dab of sealer at the junction/bottom corners where the chain cover and the head join up. You may get lucky and find out the this step was not accomplished during the buildup. You will have to remove the front cover completely to seal these corners being very carefull not to damage the part of the headgasket that forms the borttom seal for the cover.

Good luck

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I have the exact same problem but my timing cover was machined with

the head.... I rebuilt the head with the help of a buddy

I t sucks to have a little weep at the timing cover....so minor engine has never run better but thought of pulling the cover and resealing it makes me wanna groan at the thought of still having it drip

but the engine and bay are so clean so I would rather not have the drip

Some people have told me that they have done complete rebuild and never totally got rid of a drip.....has anyone had a weep/drip for years??

70' 1600 Malaga

75' 2002 polaris 91-95

2000 328i 95k

2003 GMC Envoy-stolen and replaced

2010 GMC ACADIA

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 247k

SiteNamecopy.jpg

RTV (oil safe) is your friend.

I've had fine luck with it. you should use it. You'll PROBABLY stop the leak.

Here's the deal- the head gasket compresses under the head differently

than under the front cover. So even if they're machined the same height,

usually the cover sticks up a bit.

If you're really bothered, use a depth gauge, measure how high it is,

then take it to a competent machinist and have them cut that much off.

I'd use RTV. In fact, I do!

Good luck,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks to all. RTV first with all the remedial work I can do and hope for the best. The engine is shiny and bright except for the oil slick running down from the leak. Grrrr.

Doug

If we learn from our mistakes does that mean I have to make them all?

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara