Oil cooler trouble

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone of you had trouble with aftermarket oil coolers. I just broke another one in a year! It's just regular aluminium 13 row cooler they sell at race shops, brand is Mocal. Both just developed suddenly a major leak without any damage from outside. They look absolutely new after cleaning. Of course no warranty in racing so this is getting expensive.

I know BMW has pretty high oil pressure at least in cold start, is it that they just can't stand the pressure? Now I have shimmed the pressure even a little higher than stock. I don't think it's because of bad mounting and can't figure out anything else.

Tommy

Guest Anonymous

Did you buy the same brand each time? How/where did you have them mounted?

I highly doubt it's the pressure unless it's a manu.defect.

Guest Anonymous

Yes same brand. I thought I had just bad luck and there's not much to choose here.

Mounting is not as good as it could be. It's mounted with 4 bolts and 10mm rubber under them. I've only used upper mounts so it's kinda hanging. Still I don't think it's because of mounting, I think it would crack the mounts but there's no damage. It's mounted behind the hole in turbo spoiler and there's metal grille in front of it so there's no rock's or anything hitting it.

I thought about manufacturing defect at first time but now it's hard to believe.

Tommy

Guest Anonymous

It has to be something simular between them.

1. Manu. defect

2. Mounting method

3. FOD foreign object damage

I would first go with another brand (www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com have TONS)

Then, I'd make a way to firmly support it from each corner.

Then, I'd build a protective cage from mesh that stood off of the cooler, yet covered it.

Hope it helps a little

Guest Anonymous

Yea, that's what I'm gonna do. I'll try to find another model that feels stiffer. Maybe from a truck or tractor or something.

Tommy