you would cry to if it happened to you (long)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Promise not to laugh. I just bought a car off ebay and got ripped off. The car was sold/listed as 66,000 miles and as having $2600 worth of body/structural work done and fresh paint (inka). Well ... the truck dropped it off on Saturday and boy did I get a surprise. As for the structural work done, I guesed they must have missed the fact that the last 8 - 10" of the front frame memeber (that's welded to the floor pan on the drivers side) has rusted off and is missing plus, there's a rust hole in the trunk. To make matters worse, the car was repainted inka but the problem is that it was burgundy prior to that so they took the liberty of spraying orange paint all over the engine bay, wires and all. As for the mileage, based on my ignorant observations. looks more like it has 166,000 miles.

I should have known something was wrong when only after I bought it they told me that I was buying it from a body shop who claims they were working on the car when the owner died. His widow didn't have enough money to cover the bill so she signed the title over to the body shop, that was about three years ago. It obvious the car was sitting there for the last three years (based on the wasp's nest under the hood.)

I've been lurking on this site for the last couple of months (in anticipation of getting my "baby") everyone here seems to know their shit so I have two questions 1) do I have a any recourse in returning the car and 2) does anyone have an idea what it would cost to fix the frame member. Thanks in advance for any information you guys can provide.

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/body_and_interior/frame_rail.html

Question #1..no idea.

Question #2..you will be able to get a donor spare tire well for a reasonable fee, and welding it in should be minimal effort/cost.

There is a good article about frame rail repair on this website...but it looks like some real effort. See the link above

Good luck

Gary

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/fpp.html

I've been fortunate in my many eBay transactions -- haven't been ripped off yet. They do have policies against the seller misrepresenting the item, but in the end all they'll probably do is sanction the seller, which doesn't really do much to help you get your money back. Additionally, they have a kind of mediation forum where you might be able to negotiate some sort of settlement with the seller. That might be more useful for you. The link should take you to eBay's Fraud Protection area. Check it out.

Also, if you used PayPal, I believe they have some kind of buyer protection. Lastly, if you used your credit card, check with them about their fraud policies.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you.

Guest Anonymous

the other posts have good suggestions depending on how you paid the seller. If you are in Northern California, there are some very knowledgeable body shops that can fix your problem(s). Cost: it will be expensive..., is this car otherwise chocked full of goodies? Or is it a possible donor car for a solid body 02. Good luck, once again, sorry to hear you got scammed.that stinks///

Guest Anonymous

the part that goes under the driver's footwell, you'll (1) be lucky and (2) find that it isn't too bad to replace if you can find a good unrusted piece, complete with a couple inches of floor on each side. They usually rust out on the driver's side due to a leaking M/C, which tends to funnel its brake fluid into the frame rail (ask me how I know!)

However, that being said, I suspect this car has other "issues" both structural and mechanical. Unless you're really gung ho, it's tought to make the proverbial silk purse from a sow's ear, altho it can-- and has--been done. Get someone with e-bay experience to advise you on getting your $$ back. There are plenty of nice, reasonably priced '02s out there, so you don't have to start with one that runs on Kennel Ration.

Cheers and good luck

Mike

Guest Anonymous

but it is not the end of the world, don't feel bad, we have all done it (and keep doing it - myself included) one time or the other, few are brave enough to admitted. Obviously the ideal solution is to return the car, I personally don't know how difficult that is, but it is worth a try even you pay the a token "deposit", for their troubles.

Regardless what you paid, if you can't return it, then you have to treated as a "sunk" cost, that is, all your decisions from now on will be based on starting from scratch. So if it cost you $500 to bring it to the same level of a $2000 02, then it makes sense to fix, but if can buy a sound 02 for $3000 and you will have to invest 3000 to fix it, then sell it for parts!

Look at what the car has, it may be all original, perfect dash, trim panels, killer wheels, sound engine, close ratio steering box, make a list and compare with other cars, what was it about the car that compelled you to buy it?

Good luck

Michael

72 tii (Bacchus)

Guest Anonymous

it is ashame that people like this exist...but with the ebay medium.. u just never know.. it is also the same for good sellers that and end up with shitty buyers...i have had good luck on ebay to current, but i always check the feed back and stay away from the sun glasses.. dont let this burn u out this is a great car and the people here are a great group of people.. that would never do a thing like that.....