WOT: Attn. all those in the computer field....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am considering, after 16 years in the automotive industry, going back to school for computers. I am looking at either networking or computer graphics.

Just looking for opinions, pros cons...etc.

TIA!!

Guest Anonymous

The IT industry is weak right now (I'm in networking, can't speak for graphics). I was laid off last year and was out of work for about 3 months--which makes me lucky by most standards.

There are jobs out there, but there are also a lot of qualified people looking for work. So if you want to get into IT, make sure you're getting into an area that has openings.

Internships are a great way to get a foot in the door if you can find one that pays decently. There are so many people out there with inflated resumes that an opportunity to prove yourself can be invaluable.

Matthew Cervi

'73 tii

Guest Anonymous

200228.jpg

if you go to school to get to a position will they help you pay for it as well as 'keep the position open' or something like that for ya?

good luck man!!

-dave

Guest Anonymous

No risk to you, just your time. The company foots the bill and is much more likely to place you into an opening than a stranger. I know people who've done that successfully, moving from phone reps into IT.

Matthew Cervi

'73 tii

Guest Anonymous

Neil;

Now might now be too bad a time to get re-educated.

I have been in the IT field (erp, crm, system design stuff) for a good while.

The job market is lower than fish pooh on the ocean floor ATM, but getting educated and ready for the

economic upturn is wise. I havent worked for far too long, and am worried....

BUT

I would weight up what is important to you. Graphics VS, network

Do you have more of a creative bend, or more analytical?

Once you do research, you will see the IT industry has so many sub-categories it is mind-blowing.

Before you invest hard-earned cash in any specific course - may i suggest a short overview course in both Networking (to give an idea of the components, highlight any interests) and also the graphic element.

Ebusiness side of things is still new, and being formed for anyone to be able to predict the best course of action.

From my experience, employers are looking for vendor specific and release specific experience before hiring. This is not always easy to get unless you already have the job.

Email me offline if you need anything else

Guest Anonymous

They can give exact specifics - not only the openings vs candidates for graphic jobs and network jobs, but also which systems and apps are hot right now.

you dont want to blow loads on being educated in, say cisco, if the majority of big companies in the PA area outsource/use other vendors.

If subaru are offering in house retraining, that would be a brilliant way of "trying on" a new hat (relatively) risk free.

Guest Anonymous

200228.jpg

is that you usually have to 'pay back' by staying for X ammt. of years afterwards...but usually if you get a big enough raise by going somewhere else, you can cover what's left on your 'loan' quite easily...

good luck neil!!

-dave

Guest Anonymous

Hi:

What I would avoid is spending large sums with training firms until you know it is a good investment. I see people spending big $$ on "boot camps", etc before they have a good career path. e-mail me off list and I can make some suggestions in re lower grade certs. j. england (A+, net+, i-net+, etc.) jenglandiii at yahoo dot com