• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sagging rear springs?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I just got the 76 Auto in a few days ago and have been furiously working on it..I bought it from a used car place in Phoenix. Nothing against used car places, but this one was not as described..overall, it's alright but just some issues that were expected in a way. One of them is a leaning (driver side) rear. I installed new HD Bilstens..no real change in the lean, but a better ride. Then I swapped with my 73tii's rear springs..that helped some. BTW, the tii springs were shorter but of a heavier gauge wire. They fit perfect in the 76..but not vice versa, the tii is jacked up by 1-2 in. Now, the 76 still seems to have more neg. camber than the passenger side, even though to my eye..the ride height seems even..well maybe not. Ant suggestions? Thanks!!!

Guest Anonymous

its hard to judge at the moment as i have the engine out... but it has always bugged me even before donk came out..

i have brand new springs and bilstein hds.... didnt seem to help it too much.

what other factors contribute to rake?

Guest Anonymous

I had exactly the same problem when going to gas-filled shocks and shorter stiffer springs. One side (drivers) had problems. The tyre outer wall rubbed the inner fender/wing lip on cornering. The other side was fine. PLUS the camber was HUGE when viewing the car from the rear.

I ended up replacing the upper and lower spring pads on the rear.

UPPER Pads

The standard UPPER pads are “TWO Dot” and are 33mm in height. Check them out – it they look iffy/worm – pull em and replace them. Maybe the difference in driver/pass sides is due to one being shot – the other fine.

There are three UPPER pad heights:

One dot, two dot, three dot – each being progressively taller (the three dot are 37mm in height I think).

LOWER pads

The lower spring pads (I think) only come in one size/height. They have a small cut in them to ‘hold” the spring in place. I found my lower pads were really beat up – and replacing them alone was a big difference. It seems the lower pads do wear a lot more than the uppers. This MAY be the issue with your stance being off.

MY CASE

As other posts have alluded – you can pull the aluminium spacers from the front struts and put them above the upper pads. I did this – going from 2dots, to one dots with the spacer. This made all the difference in ride height, and with the new lower pads the car is now level – and the slight increase in ride height also dialed out a large amount of camber

Guest Anonymous

Hey Thanks!! that one is dead on...I was so baffled, I forgot the rubber spring doughnuts..Your info is the top shit and I will look for some 2 dot upper and a pair of lower pads. Now I gotta swap them back to the tii after I get the new pads....Thanks!!!