• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Very High 02

danny_ko

Hello ,

I am now in the end of my project ( http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,355849/ )

And my car is very very high !!!

I want it to be as low as it can .

I ran I.E sport springs - stage II with bilstein B8 .

Can it be because the rims ? i ran 16" ..... ?

Mey-be it's because the car didn't drive even 100 km ?

It looks like this :

270089_10150266535788545_582173544_7408564_4709899_n.jpg

What it the answer to this ???

Thanks

Danny K.

Well for one thing finish putting it together then see what the ride height is. All that glass weighs a lot.

Do you have any of the rubber spring pads in it?

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

+1 on the heavy glass. Is your interior all installed?

Also - did you tighten the suspension components up in the air? Are the springs in the right position - i.e. fronts swapped with rears?

I really like your color combination and wheels - very nice!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Did you torque the suspension with the car on the lift? (EDIT: Dang it Jim. I was typing!!)

If the suspension was hanging, this would prevent it from fully sinking into the springs.. If you can imagine the relationship of the inner sleeve to the outer, and you can picture how the position of the trailing arms/control arms/compliance arms while hanging, and then imagine you torque the bolts locking the inner sleeve in place, you can see how once the car is dropped, the resistance created by the bushings will 1. hold the car up, and 2. Cause unnecessary wear on the integrity of the bushing material itself as the car is driven, the suspension dips, and the twist is increased. Kind of like bending a wire until it breaks..

I have witnessed this in my own car from simply lowering it and NOT releasing the tension by loosening the suspension bolts and re torquing. There is tearing in the outer surfaces of the (original) rubber in a bit of a pinwheel pattern. And some of them have even started to fall apart!

As a newbie, I used to scoff a bit at the procedure set forth by BMW for torquing these parts. It seemed a bit overboard. But now, having really spent some time working on these suspensions, I get it. Basically the goal is to have the suspension parts torqued near the center of travel.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

for now all interior installed except for a central console .

All installion was made on a lift .

this springs are 40 MM lowring .... I double check and springs Because between the springs and the body was a large gap .

Probably due to the significant lowring . I checked this with I.E and they sad it's O.k and normal .

When I put the car to the floor checking springs are sitting properly.

just behind where you can see that the spring still have to settle 1 cm - but the back seemed lowr then the front .

Is there are anyone who rans a 16" rims and still low ?

You need to put it on an alignment lift with the weight on the wheels, and loosen the suspension parts. And then follow this procedure, no matter how much of a pain in the ass it seems to be..

No less than 150 lbs in the each of the front seats.

150 lbs in the back seat, centered.

And either a full tank of gas + 75 LBS, OR another 150 lbs centered in the trunk.

The easy way is to get four friends to jump into the car for you..

Then, with this additional weight on the car, you can torque the suspension to spec. This should remedy most, if not all of the issue.

(O=o00o=O)

You need to put it on an alignment lift with the weight on the wheels, and loosen the suspension parts. And then follow this procedure, no matter how much of a pain in the ass it seems to be..

No less than 150 lbs in the each of the front seats.

150 lbs in the back seat, centered.

And either a full tank of gas + 75 LBS, OR another 150 lbs centered in the trunk.

The easy way is to get four friends to jump into the car for you..

Then, with this additional weight on the car, you can torque the suspension to spec. This should remedy most, if not all of the issue.

^^

(O=o00o=O)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

you described how much weight and where to locate the weight when torquing the flexible suspension bits after replacement with the car on the ground.

I looked all over the place on FAQ and couldn't find the info.

Thanks for any help,

Don

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

150 lbs in each front seat

150 lbs centered on back seat

100 lbs centered in trunk

FULL tank of gas

be sure to roll the car, bounce it, and let the wheels

travel  - 'center'  themselves - then tighten

same weighting before a wheel alignment - Toe adjustment

C.D.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007