• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to the 2002 and the board

Koblenz

Hello. Picking up an 76 2002. Pretty excited about but it don't know much about the car.

Will be checking in here frequently.

For the moment there is some rust but its being addressed. My plan is to get the Ireland Eng flares and frount dam. Did you see their fg bumpers?

Curious about wheels. I like the panasport. Car is red.

Will be using the ANSA muffler.

Located in Orlando, FL.

BTW, going to delete the bumpers. Is there a "mounting bar" for driving lights using the bumper mounts?

"BTW, going to delete the bumpers. Is there a "mounting bar" for driving lights using the bumper mounts?"

If you remove your rear bumper you'll notice four oblong holes with plugs in 'em. They're the mounting holes for Euro bumper brackets (same as the chrome bumpers on US roundies) so they'll bolt right on--"all" you need to do is fill the old bumper bracket holes.

For the front--check the archives for clever driving/fog light mounts that use the old bumper mount holes. Most involve using a proper diameter piece of pipe either flattened on one end or with a bracket welded to it. Use the original rubber grommets and it'll look pretty good.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

These are 15" Rotas fyi. Probably available on ebay, and these were from an old group buy. Offset is important on '02's.

Cheers, welcome!

Ray

Photobucket

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

that filling out the larger wheel openings will call for wheels and tires of different sizes than those that will allow the rolling stock to fit inside unmodified fenderwells without interference.

For example, with 15 inch wheels, stock fenders and sport springs, you're pretty much limited to 6" wide et 30-33s in front & 7" et 35's in back - with flares, you can go to significantly more postive offset and/or wider, larger diameter wheels and bigger tires if you wish.

One suggestion regarding choosing a wheel / tire combination - unless you're planning to go to a significantly higher horsepower drivetrain, it's pretty easy to "overtire" an '02. 2002's are light, well balanced cars to start with - too much tire can give you more grip than you can use, as well as resulting in excessive rolling resistance, unecessarily increased unsprung weight, and slower accelleration due to too much rotational inertia.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

not sure where you are getting those offset numbers for 15's barry.

15x7 et25 with 195/50 tires is the standard size that fits 2002's front and rear with stock fenders no problem....

see ray's pic or mine for examples of 15x7 et25

DSCN1783.jpg

2xM3

Thanks guy. I have a lot to learn. I will post pics next week. I work night shift so I'm a zombie during the day.

Intial thought is the body front dam and flares from IE. http://www.iemotorsport.com/

I will be adding some horsepower down the road. With the flares I will go for larger tires and with the increased rolling resistance I will need hp.

I am diigin the 02s I see here. Can't wait to get on the road in my new grocery getter.

not sure where you are getting those offset numbers for 15's barry.

roundie a couple of years ago (car's since been passed on to a local buddy here in the Sacramento area). On this particular car, with 15x6 et 30's & 195/50's in front, there was about 5 mm clearance between the rim lip & strut tube, and some minor tire - fender lip interference with the wheels turned (as in entering a driveway from the street); with 15x7 et 35's & 215/50's on the rear, there was about 4 mm betweem the rim lip & trailing arm, and no more that that between the fender lip and tire with the car sitting level.

At the time the wheels & tires were installed, this car was running new Bilstein sport strut inserts in front, Bilstein HD's in back, and new Eibach sport springs on all four corners with 3 dot spring spacers in back, and there was no evidence of major collision damage that would have distorted the fender openings (although the nose panel had been replaced at some point).

Given that every car's dimensions are somewhat different (especially after 30+ years) that wheel/tire combination was at the limit of what would fit inside the stock fenders on that car..........

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)