• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Had my head examined

EcoAuto

I know just enough about my Tii engine to be dangerous, but not enough to make an informed choice. I humbly ask for your reading time and opinions.

My mechanic found large valve clearance on #3 exhaust valve. Inspection w/ scope through spark plug hole showed # 3 exhaust seat came out, holding the valve open. He recommends replacing the cylinder head and I agree.

My 02 was manufactured in November 74. PO installed an E12 head and Kugelfisher years ago. No paperwork to show when, how or where. The engine's block casting date is Aug 75. The E12 head was cast in Oct '74.

Paperwork shows about 110K / 1999, E12 head was rebuilt - new valves, etc and a crack welded.

I bought the car last year at 163k. The engine was lumpy. Compression 195 on all four. Pistons are either 10:1 or 9.5:1

Soon #3 exhaust valve stuck. Mechanic pulled head and sent it to the machine shop for a rebuild. Machine shop noticed hairline crack adjacent to exhaust valve #3. They welded it.

Machine show swapped the installed 292 Schrick for an IE 160 cam. The Kugelfisher pump went to Pacific Fuel Injections for a rebuild. 4 newly rebuilt injectors and a new Ireland Petronix distributor when in.

The engine idled smoothly and had nice power. Checked valve clearance at 300 miles. Hadn't moved. 650 miles after the rebuild, #3 valve stuck.

Replacing the E12 head options:

1. BMW Mobile Tradition sells new E12 heads for $1,000. No core charge.

2. Used heads, condition unknown, seem to be plentiful for about $100.

3. Complete rebuilt heads are out there for about $500.

4. 2002AD sells a rebuilt head for $1000 plus core charge.

5. Metric Mechanics sells rebuilt ported performance heads from $1.5 to $2k, plus core charge.

I'm leaning towards option #5. I'd love to get confirmation that Metric Mechanic's HiFlow head are the wise choice. Assuming so, do I go with MM's stock cam or spend another $500 for more power with their "sport' ST head with their 292 cam. Or am I going to have a lumpy again, like with my Schrick 292?

Ron Gompertz

Bozeman, MT
74 BMW 2002tii
Fjord # 037 / blue interior

Bummer about the crack, can see why you want to get a new head. The larger the cam the more lumpy the idle. Even my mild 285 (a Norris 301) is a bit lumpy. Also note the bigger the cam the more compression you want to utilize the cam. But on a tii you don't want to go too big on the cam or the engine will run lean (without expensive KF customization).

I have no experience with MM, so can't give guidance there. If you do the tear down and buildup yourself then rebuilding a used head is relatively inexpensive. The question is can you find someone you trust who can do a good port and multi-angle valve job *within a specific time frame*. I am going the route of custom porting for a non-tii race engine (including epoxy-raised intake ports) and it is taking way too long (years!) to get it done.

I think the question is what do you really want and what do you use the car for? Another option for more power could be a stroker with a mild cam, but again you might get into fuel delivery problems with the stock KF pump. Or just put in a high ratio diff, that makes a huge difference for torque off the corner. I use a 4:45:1 with my 5-speed OD, though that would be too high for the street. Perhaps a 4.27.

Best of luck,

Fred '74tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Thanks Bob. Suggestion much appreciated.

I did call Paul at AutoHaus Exec in Burlingame shortly after his original post. They were very helpful and sent me information about the head they had available. It's an unassembled e12 head, and had been welded. That made me a little unsure I wanted to go that way, despite the low price.

Ron Gompertz

Bozeman, MT
74 BMW 2002tii
Fjord # 037 / blue interior

Guest Anonymous
Thanks Bob. Suggestion much appreciated.

I did call Paul at AutoHaus Exec in Burlingame shortly after his original post. They were very helpful and sent me information about the head they had available. It's an unassembled e12 head, and had been welded. That made me a little unsure I wanted to go that way, despite the low price.

I'd steer clear from Paul, I've dealt with him personally in the past, he is a shyster.

I have metric mechanic head on my car. It is an older head from MM, actually an e21 head. I run a carb and everything is running well. The car makes good power ( but the whole engine is rebuilt too). I just had it to a Del Val drivers school at Watkins Glen and it ran fantastic.