• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EFI Questions and Part Usage

FL_72_2002

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and picked up my first 02. My brother has one and I finally found a 72.

My plans are to go EFI.

I've read the multiple FAQS about the install and basic part needs.

I'm about 90% sure to be getting the majority from an alternate source on the west coast, in a bulk package.

My brother has an 82 320i he is parting out, and it has the 1.8 FI set up in it.

My question is what can I use from the 320i in conjunction with the 85 318 parts car to possibly save a little money???

Also there is a possibility that the 318 head is sold, dizzy intact. So I may miss out on that.

Can I use the 320I cam and dizzy; possibly intake and throttle body??

New to this and any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

72 2002 (Rusty)

72 Polaris 02 (My bro's)

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and picked up my first 02. My brother has one and I finally found a 72.

My plans are to go EFI.

I've read the multiple FAQS about the install and basic part needs.

I'm about 90% sure to be getting the majority from an alternate source on the west coast, in a bulk package.

My brother has an 82 320i he is parting out, and it has the 1.8 FI set up in it.

My question is what can I use from the 320i in conjunction with the 85 318 parts car to possibly save a little money???

Also there is a possibility that the 318 head is sold, dizzy intact. So I may miss out on that.

Can I use the 320I cam and dizzy; possibly intake and throttle body??

New to this and any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Not much that is useful from the e21. You could use the fuel pump I guess, but there are better aftermarket pumps that aren't that expensive. You can also use the fast idle valve. The e21 cam and distributor would be fine, but keep in mind that the e21 has electronic ignition so you'll need that module as well (on the driver's fender). Of course you can also just use your stock head/cam/distributor.

You do not want the e21 TB because 1. it's really, really small and 2. has no provision for a TPS, which you need if you are doing standalone EFI.

The e21 intake does not have injector holes, so you have to get the e30 intake manifold, along with the fuel rail, pressure regulator, injectors etc.

drmattsevilworkshop.com

I figured as much on the E21 manifold. What are the advantages of using the dizzy and cam from the 318 or will mine work? I may need an engine management system possibly, right?

I wouldn't bother with the cam and distributor from the 318i. It would get rid of the points if that is a concern for you, but there are easier ways to do that.

It really makes sense (to me anyway) to go standalone (ie megasquirt) if doing an EFI conversion since it gives you much greater flexibility. If you were to stay with the stock e30 EFI you would need the AFM and ECU (and harness) and I don't know how well it would work for your 2.0l.

I used a M50 TB (65mm) on my MS project on a late e21 (1.8l) and it worked really well. No AFM, the system just runs on MAP (included on the megasquirt board), throttle position and RPM (have to add a trigger wheel to your crank pulley). Once you are doing megasquirt it's no big deal to do EDIS for your ignition as well, which is a huge improvement over the stock system.

drmattsevilworkshop.com

don't forget that the 320 dizzy turns opposite to a 2002, so you'd need to use the 320 camshaft as well as its dizzy together...it might be easier just to stick with the 02 cam/dizzy, as if you ever want to get a hotter camshaft, there are more available for a 2002 than an E21.

If your brother is parting an 82, grab the 5 speed and related bits (check the archives for which bits) for a future five speed conversion. If you plan to do much highway driving, that 5 speed is a defninte improvement--drops your rpms about 800 over 4th in a 4 speed.

cheers and welcome to the fraternity/sorority

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite