• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rust-proofing my garage

norma

I'm restoring a 67 from scratch. A lot of time-consuming work, a big part of which is eliminating rust everywhere. I hate rust. Unfortunately, I live on the Oregon coast so it's a problem. I'm thinking about buying a bubble to store it over the winter. But is there a way setup my garage so that it's rust-free? What do you guys do to guard against rust over the winters and over time? Thanks.

catalogs that cater to the street rod hobby (California Car Cover, etc) - a number of them carry moisture / humidity control products for car storage in areas where airborne moisture is a problem.

You're probably going in the right direction in looking into "bubbles" but you may need to add some sort of dehumidifier as well.......

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Heat is your friend.

It lowers relative humidity, thus, the dewpoint.

Keep it 5 deg c warmer than outside, and I'd bet you'll be OK.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Or drop the temperature in the garage to below 9 degrees Fahrenheit... IIRC that is where the air can simply no longer hold any moisture.

Keep the car high off the ground (more than a foot), covered without the cover touching it, and with the windows open so that air can flow through it. You should be fine.

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

and heat.

really.

I'm not making this one up. The moisture

in that coastal air will swamp a dehumidifier

right out of the pond.

Oh, and also keep things sealed up-

that mist on the coast when it really

gets whipped up out there will rust

plastic, I swear...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Bob, that's so true. I have purchased the very large (12' x 7' I think) rubber floor mats from Griot's Garage, whose warehouse is located just outside of Indianapolis BTW. These will keep the moisture from coming directly out of the concrete under a car. I have one in the garage and one in one of the spaces in my carport where one of my '02s or old E30 sits.