• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

finally, some photos of my first 02

Ultralite

I hope this isn't a duplicate post, my earlier attempt ended with an error message.

I recently bought my first 02 from Jason at Heritage Motorsports in Atlanta. He has been great to deal with and helpful for someone new to this scene. I am glad I bought my first one from him.

I was looking to buy an education. I know how to do most routine maintenance. But I have been wanting the challenge of restoration and skills like welding. I think I found my challenge car.

Below is a link to photos. I haven't decided on a final, detailed objective for the car. Right now I just enjoy driving it. (even in the heat)

http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j325/ultral1te/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_click

'72 Atlantik (RIP)

'02 E46 xiT with MT!

'67 Beetle

'69 Westy

aerowise, perfectly OK to ask. I paid $1700 for it. folks will have their own opinion on its worth but here's a little more background and why I felt it was worth it.

I had gone to talk with Jason a couple of times about a few models that he had prepped and sold. He struck me as someone good to deal with and that has held up.

He had this car that was beginning to grow on me. He had a rebuilt engine for it. He also had a rebuilt transmission for it. And when I first took possession and had a few problems he fixed them. He also agreed to show me how to weld at his shop, so from my perspective a class was included so to speak.

So, a fun car, my kids LOVE it, my wife even likes it, I have a good resource in Jason, I've already spent several afternoons with my children tinkering around with it (did that today also), felt like I got a good deal.

I had been looking for a long time. It seemed so many candidates were priced a little high and being unfamiliar with the car in general, I couldn't be sure just how much was needed to be done after I bought it. In this case I know it needs everything. Plus, whatever I do to it will be such a vast improvement over how it looks now.

'72 Atlantik (RIP)

'02 E46 xiT with MT!

'67 Beetle

'69 Westy

Yes indeed, quite a project!!! Does it run well? How many miles? How much did you pay if it's OK to ask?

Oops, forgot to include in my reply....

It does run well. Saturday I thought up excuses to take it places. Today I drove it to work. At lunch I even took it out on the Interstate, in Atlanta no less.

But its hot as 7 hells here in ATL during the summer. So I may park it for a month or two and try to get it ready for the Fall. I've got to get the floors taken care of, they're bad.

How many miles? No idea. I plan an engine swap within a year so in my mind I thought that would be like hitting the reset button.

'72 Atlantik (RIP)

'02 E46 xiT with MT!

'67 Beetle

'69 Westy

So, a fun car, my kids LOVE it, my wife even likes it

In this case I know it needs everything. Plus, whatever I do to it will be such a vast improvement over how it looks now.

Having the support and bonding time with your kids is priceless so I would say you made out.

I love your attitude about it needing everything. Only way it can go is up. ;)

'74 02tii

I think we all have seen worse examples that come up roses with a little work and luck.

Biggest advantages so far is that it runs well, the stance looks good and there are no hidden surprises so far.

Since it is running condition, I would work on project that give you the most satisfaction from improvements, as long as the necesities are addressed (i.e. steering, braking, starting).

As you mentioned rust is going to be crucial to resolve, but as you said it's "Hotlanta" for time to planning out projects. There are plenty of guys here who are here to help, as well as parts available at reasonable rates.

Cleanout the car, change out the fluids and start having fun with it.

Let us know what we can help with.

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

I wanted to add some things that the car had in terms of value but in all candor, since I'm new to this and not familiar with all upgrades, I had to ask Jason so I could list them accurately. So on the car is:

1. Bilstein sport shocks

2. 2" drop sport springs

3. Ferodo rear shoes

4. cross drilled rotors

5. stainless steel braided brake lines

Last night my son and I took the door panels off and cleaned inside the doors. Just a little bit everyday, great fun....

'72 Atlantik (RIP)

'02 E46 xiT with MT!

'67 Beetle

'69 Westy