• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few questions for a new build...

Mead

Well, I've been lurking for a while, and am finally ready to start work on my 2002. First however, I have a few questions.

Car won't really be a DD, more of my sport car and it might see the track occasionally. It will be a turbo build, and the components I'm building should be good until ~9500 (I can't resist the sound of 7k+ rpm). So....questions:

1. Is the stock crank good for 9500?

2. Should I get a turbo cam? Suggestions on timing/lift/duration?

3. I've been looking at a CR of 8.75:1...any suggestions? I was looking at IE but if there's better value out there I'd like to know.

4. How much will the stock oil system need to be upgraded to deal with the higher rps?

5. Where can I find rocker shaft upgrades? So far I've only found OEM, and from what I've read shaft upgrades are needed for higher rpms.

If I've left anything out, let me know. This is my first '02 project, so I apologize if I'm a bit new to all this.

turbo unless you have an engine management system with a knock sensor/ign retard. All that hot turbo air will do bad things to your pistons...

I'll let the engine gurus ring in on other topics, but just as an aside, I don't think I've heard of rocker shafts breaking, just the stock arms at very high rpms...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite