way cool way to route battery cable from trunk...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

.....as well as the gas line and wiring for taillights. As I was looking through the little sparkley thingys swirling between me and my kerosene covered floor pan, it occured to me that all the cables and such were really getting in my way. The dancing zuchini that had been harassing me since not long after I began removing the tar like substance, dared me to cut all of the offending stuff out of there. Just before I made the wire-ectomy it occured to me that maybe I could re-route all that stuff through the rockers. There is a factory hole in the rail under the back seat and an oval port on the kick panel. I was able to shove a fish tape from the back to the front. I ended up drilling two 1/2 inch holes in the passenger kick panel, and one more hole in the back under the seat on the rail, to route the gas return and battery cable (battery resides under back seat now). On the drivers side I drilled one 1/2 inch hole in basically the same spot to route the wiring under the back seat. In this case I used a product called "Super-flex" which is a very flexible 1/2 inch metallic raceway. I pulled that through first and then pulled the wiring through that. Now I have an easily accesible raceway running front to back to add whatever wiring I may need later. Another thing that worked out really well was to mount a 1/2 inch s.o. connector to the firewall as a safe way to pass the battery cable through. It is far more secure and air tight than a grommet. I'll post pics of the completed interior as soon as I can shoo the pixies out of there.

Guest Anonymous

fc2d038b.jpg

....that the battery cable is running through. It's used for attaching so cord-usually a multi-conductor rubber jacketed wire, to electrical boxes. In other words it's a fitting used in the electrical industry which is available at most big outfits like Lowe's or home depot. I think they call it a SJ connector. The idea is it has a rubber grommet that gets compressed as you tighten the outer ring. It holds the cable securely in place and protects it from the sharp edge of the hole it's passing through. I can take a close-up pic of one if that would help.