• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rewiring my 2002 race car

79rpm

I would like to rewire my race car from scratch and need a wiring diagram. All i need is the basic stuff like the starter, dizzy and alternater also headlights, brake lights, wiper motor, electric fuel pump and electric fan. I have a switch panel on the dash which will turn everything on and the starter motor is on a starter button.

If you see a gap,

you take that gap,

and you just hope he sees you coming.

1971 BMW 2002 #79

2005 Ford Falcon XR6

need a wiring diagram

most of us do.

No help here, as my car's a mess of whatever

was needed on the day it was needed. One of these

winters I'm going to clean it all out and start again.

One of these days...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hey there,

The Haynes manual has wiring diagrams for the 2002 and the tii - are these what you are after? I could take a high res photo of the page and email it to you or alternatively photocopy the page and post it to you - I am in Brisbane.

Daniel.

Whatever you do, make sure that the electric fuel pump(s) are on their own, easily accessed internal switch that's fed by the same main 12V source easily switched off by your primary external "KILL" switch in case of emergency.

The racecar I bought would continue to run the fuel pump even with the external kill switch switched "off", when I first brought it home.....duh!

I mean, really? Is there ANY item on the car you want to turn off more quickly when a corner worker comes to save your ass, reaching for the external KILL switch? Also, make sure the kill switch is in a place easily accessed by the people that might be saving your life. On mine, they hacked the louvers in the hood, which meant that a corner worker would rip their fingers to SHREDS on the hacksawed edge of the hole, if they tried to grab the switch quickly....and you really DO want them to grab it quickly.

My advice re: diagram - make a list of each and every item you want to wire / switch (aux cooling fan, wipers, pump(s), ignition, etc) and make sure you use many different colors of wire. Nothing's more frustrating than diagnosing an electrical problem on a car built with all red wire.....and yeah, I've seen it. Use your head and think about safety.

Then go get 'em! We'll cheer you on!

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Hey,

this is a good idea, and something I need to do to. What ignition are you running? I have the MSD6 with the Pertronix and want to retain it's harness so I can plug and play a diferent unit without chopping up the wires, in a pinch. Currently I still use the ignition key for power and starter. I would like to seperate the ignition from the starter, so I can pump up the oil pressure before firing up.

73tii

but guys really all i need to know is how to make the engine run, i know that i need a battery cable from battery to starter motor and a igniton cable from the alternator to the igniton switch but im not too sure where to run wiring to coil and dizzy, i really just need too be told basically where these wires run. Thanks Guys.

If you see a gap,

you take that gap,

1971 BMW 2002 #79

2005 Ford Falcon XR6

Hey there,

The Haynes manual has wiring diagrams for the 2002 and the tii - are these what you are after? I could take a high res photo of the page and email it to you or alternatively photocopy the page and post it to you - I am in Brisbane.

Daniel.

sounds good! if you can email it to me that would be great at rpm.01@hotmail.com. Thanks Daniel

If you see a gap,

you take that gap,

1971 BMW 2002 #79

2005 Ford Falcon XR6

You need to hook up the charging light for the alternator, + from

your ign switch to the coil, - on coil to points or pertronix or whatever.

If you're using a pertronix (or other) you need to get + to it, too.

Brake lights are obvious- you have to switch a positive wire with your brake

light switch.

Fuel pump (if it's electric) should have a dedicated switch.

The whole thing should have a master disco to unhook the battery from the engine,

and the aux switch on the disco should be used to turn the alternator off

(usually, unhooking the charge light does it)

Otherwise, the disconnect unhooks the batt, but the alternator self-

excites and keeps the car running.

I use a Swift alt, and it has a separate reference wire, so I just switch that.

That's about it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL