• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii air cleaner drain hole - will this suck air?

GoldLion

Hi guys - this service I decided to properly degrease my air filter box as there was by now some accumulated oil deposits from the crankcase ventilation system. When pulling the connecting hose (from valve cover to air cleaner) there are some drops of oil evident and the interior of the filter box has a decent film of oil. Normally I just wipe this clean with oil changes.

I have noticed that there is a HOLE (I assume for drainage of said oil) in the underside of the air cleaner box towards the firewall at the lowest point. I assume this is stock as I have searched and seen it mentioned by others. At this point no oil seems to be draining from this hole onto my brake booster.

My question is: Does this hole suck air if the air filters are not clogged? I just can't understand why the air filter elements are constructed with incorporated rubber gaskets to seal against unwanted entrained (and dusty - in Oz) air, but then there is a hole drilled into the filter housing on the 'clean' side of the filters....... OR are the filter elements large enough that there is no vacuum created at this hole? (I doubt it.....but one never knows). C.D. any thoughts?

BONUS QUESTIONS:

Is there meant to be a reed valve or something in this hole?

Can I block the hole and just continue wiping out the housing with each oil change?

Have I got OCD? *washes hands and checks front door is locked*

Thanks guys!

Daniel.

*washes hands again*

*turns light off and on*

*checks front door is locked again*

simply - drain hole

also for water accumulation - should it

get in there from under sea drives,

condensation, motor spit, etc.

sleep well tonite.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I have found two different versions of the tii air cleaner element. I don't think the newer ones have the rubber portion (not sure).

One has a rubber base (end) that (to me) would seal better against the center housing.

picsAugust72010011.jpg

picsAugust72010010.jpg

picsAugust72010009.jpg

picsAugust72010012.jpg

If your elements fit too loose, try to bend these tabs out a tiny bit (don't break them!).

picsAugust72010008.jpg

There is a small drain hole in the main housing

The "bump" is to clear the brake booster.

Left to right:

Tabs to secure the vacuum booster hose/line

Throttle body opening

Stub for hose to valve cover

Small pipe for vapor recovery line from gas tank/expansion chamber

Small drain hole

picsAugust72010003.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

If you look at any air filter housing that can trap water, it'll have a small

drain hole at the bottom- usually about 3/16" or so.

It has to be a certain size or water won't drain from it

(between surface tension and junk, it'll plug)

It's for minor 'fording' incidents and driving in driving (heh) rain.

Without it, water will slowly accumulate in the bottom of your

housing under JUST the right conditions

and eventually rust it, or worst case, get sucked in.

Yep, it draws just a tiny amount of engine compartment air, but given that the

intakes are so much bigger, it's inconsequential. Especially compared

to the expense of a hydrolock.

The '95 318 has it, the E30 has it, the Montero has it, your sister has it... yes... you have a sister...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thank you gentlemen, I shall leave the hole as is and trust that the German engineers have a knowledge that can outweigh my paranoia.

Jgerock, you were just waiting for a question like this so you could show off your beautiful assembly, weren't you?! I had to put mine back in the engine bay and shut the bonnet in quick time so that I wouldn't have to gaze upon its unworthiness any longer! And yes, there are two filter types - the LX 255 which has a rubber gasket incorporated within, and the LX 186 which has no gasket and a slightly larger filter surface area. I constructed a gasket from 1mm thick sheet rubber and glued it on with contact adhesive for the best of both worlds.

Hurray!

Daniel.

Jgerock, you were just waiting for a question like this so you could show off your beautiful assembly, weren't you?! I had to put mine back in the engine bay and shut the bonnet in quick time so that I wouldn't have to gaze upon its unworthiness any longer!

My old one looked rough and was rusted thru on the front snorkle.

And yes, there are two filter types - the LX 255 which has a rubber gasket incorporated within, and the LX 186 which has no gasket and a slightly larger filter surface area. I constructed a gasket from 1mm thick sheet rubber and glued it on with contact adhesive for the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the tip on the LX 255 element! Both types came in the LX 186 boxes - that caused some head scratching.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"