• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front caliper bolts - on the road repair

cbgii

A friend just called from the road - the two bolts holding in one of his front calipers fell off on the highway - it's a 1976 2002. He asked me to post this question: what size are the bolts? Can someone help?

Charlie

1973 '02 - Chamonix White

1977 320i - Madeira

{option}

The bolts are M12 x 1.5 and you need a B12 (or M12, as some refer to them) wave washer under each bolt head.

Recently had the same thing happen. Now I know to use Locktite on the threads and torque to 65 lb/ft (a lot more than I suspect I originally torqued them when I mounted rebuilt calipers a year, or so, ago). This is the same torque as used on stock lug nuts.

Bob Napier

Thanks for the info Bob! It's me that had my caliper fall off 8 miles from our hotel in Saratoga. Attending V@S. My dust plate wrapped into itself and started rubbing on the rotor - I pulled-over asap. (First drive out of my town this year, and with my wife as co-pilot.) Made it to the hotel & parked it. Will try to find some bolts in the AM, with the help of Frank & Scott, and Charlie...

Side note: On a busy highway fearing for my life, got the factory tools out & jacked-up the front end, took the wheel off, discovered a messed-up dust plate. Ran to the trunk & grabbed the original tool kit. Took the old school pliars out & bent the plate away from the rotor. Moved the caliper inward & crept 8 miles to the hotel. All you need is those original tools!

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Scott - That's exactly what happened to me when the bolts worked themselves out of the caliper - the backing plate got bent over double into the rotor, but I bent it out with channel locks and limped home. Blunt got me a new backing plate, but a guy had some for sale on the PARTS FOR SALE board about 3-4 days ago. Might wanta take a look - one was new, I believe. Here's the link. It appears they are still available.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,360188/

And, when you install the backing plate, use Locktite on those bolts as well.

Good luck,

Bob

Scott; My bad. In my haste I forgot that a comma in metric is the same as a dot in our country. mlytle is right - the correct size is M12 x 1.5 x 32 mm.

Maybe you should take a lug nut in with you when you pick them up to verify that they are correct.

Bob Napier

thanks guys. Thanks to Charlie Gordy's brain storm, I took 5 minutes and pulled a bolt from the other caliper, went to an ACE Harware and screwed it into the thread board. They had 1.25 and 1.75, and not 1.5. (oh ya) Called the closest NAPA, they were brain dead, turned out that had the exact bolt. Ran back & got it all back together. Just knowing the 12MM was a help though, so thanks!!

Gorgeous day at V@S, followed by a very cool private collection tour.

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

This is what makes this site so great! Lots of experienced '02 owners willing to share their knowledge and lend a hand. Learned a lot about breaks this weekend! Was a great Saturday at the Saratoga Auto Museum - lots of sweet cars!

Charlie

1973 '02 - Chamonix White

1977 320i - Madeira

{option}