• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting issues

elross66

I have owned my car for seven years and it has always been reliable. This year she decides to give me issues. Electrical gremlins have crept in and the car refuses to start. When I turn the key all I here is click. I have charged the battery, brought it to sears to test it (it's 4 years old), they said it was OK. I replaced the grounding wire to the engine block. I then replace the starter with an M3 starter. I tested the starter with the the same coonections I had to the old starter, Battery cable to starter, Black w/ white stripe cable to terminal 50 and Black with Red stripe to other terminal (opposite side of terminal 50). The connections to the two terminals were made with the standard connector to the tabs on the terminal. I tested the new starter and it spun right up. Not feeling comfortable with the tab connections, I spliced the old connectors off and used spade connector to make the connections to the terminals. Hooked everything back up and tested it again but this time I am back to just a click when turning the key. I tested my new connections and they are good. I get 12.26 volts when checking the voltage on the battery and the voltage to the cable going to the starter. Any suggestion on what to look for would be appreciated.

I have owned my car for seven years and it has always been reliable. This year she decides to give me issues. Electrical gremlins have crept in and the car refuses to start. When I turn the key all I here is click. I have charged the battery, brought it to sears to test it (it's 4 years old), they said it was OK. I replaced the grounding wire to the engine block. I then replace the starter with an M3 starter. I tested the starter with the the same coonections I had to the old starter, Battery cable to starter, Black w/ white stripe cable to terminal 50 and Black with Red stripe to other terminal (opposite side of terminal 50). The connections to the two terminals were made with the standard connector to the tabs on the terminal. I tested the new starter and it spun right up. Not feeling comfortable with the tab connections, I spliced the old connectors off and used spade connector to make the connections to the terminals. Hooked everything back up and tested it again but this time I am back to just a click when turning the key. I tested my new connections and they are good. I get 12.26 volts when checking the voltage on the battery and the voltage to the cable going to the starter. Any suggestion on what to look for would be appreciated.

Wonderful! thanks for the info that you guys have been discussing. Awesome!!!!