• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of 2002 tii??

SeanHaver

Kinda a dumb question but your input would be greatly appreciated. I have a chance to buy a 72 colorado orange tii for $7000. all original and original paint, no rust that can be seen without taking the car apart. All original, rebuilt motor. Anyway does this seem like a fair price? I just sold my 74 tii a few months ago and it was like pulling teeth to get the $7000 I was asking. Can't seem to sell my 74 Alfa Romeo either. Thanks

no photos = no appraisal

$1500 ............... ~ ..................... $15000

does motor number match VIN numbers ?

and you've already got first hand experience in

the old import car market today

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Yes matching numbers, I don't have any pictures, the car is about 200 miles from me. I have seen it in person. I have owned a few 2002's in the past but what I should have asked is does the original colorado paint make it worth more than other colors? I guess people like the inka. I do check ebay frequentley and see what they are selling for, sorry to waist your time.

your not wasting any of our time -

we're just enjoying the old BMW hobby.

If it was a waste of our time - we would'nt be answering you - for free

the question still remains ?

yes it's colorado - "original" color? or original PAINT on the car?

200 miles and word of seller doesn't convince you I hope -

untill you see it in person. You know that by now.

Is the seller the original owner from NEW ?

I think most people (particularly tii owners)

would say $7K is weak for a Tru-Original tii.

you need to see it, drive it, get under it,

look at service records, ........

what were your experiences after buying other 02's

and then really getting into them later to find out

the TRUTH ? - and the lessons learned ?

I'm saying you shouldn't pay $7K +/_ untill you see

a compression test, drive it and see it run for an hour.

You won't be asking us then.

happy hunting

It has the original paint. Original color. I have seen it in person. The story is this. It is not for sale on the market, rather I found it at a BMW repair shop (can't say where) sitting, five years ago. I asked the shop owner what the deal was. Apperently the owner had the motor rebuilt by them but passed away before he could get it back. The owner of the shop had to do a lein sale on it. Finally after calling him once a month for the last five years he is willing to sell it to me. With all due respect you seem kinda rude, I was just wondering about a fair price . I don't want to flip the car but rather pay a fair price. My original question should have been are colorado cars worth more than other colors.I was the one who made the offer five years ago when times were better and things were more inflated.

Sean,

To me it sounds like a fair, possibly low price for an original car in non-rusted condition with a recently rebuilt motor. However, I am no expert.

The 74's generally do not seem to bring as much possibly because of the change to the tail lights and bumpers.

Good luck.

Garry

03' Mini Cooper S

73 2002tii A4 (sold )

67 Mini Coooper S (sold 3/06)

It has the original paint. Original color. I have seen it in person. The story is this. It is not for sale on the market, rather I found it at a BMW repair shop (can't say where) sitting, five years ago. I asked the shop owner what the deal was. Apperently the owner had the motor rebuilt by them but passed away before he could get it back. The owner of the shop had to do a lein sale on it. Finally after calling him once a month for the last five years he is willing to sell it to me. With all due respect you seem kinda rude, I was just wondering about a fair price . I don't want to flip the car but rather pay a fair price. My original question should have been are colorado cars worth more than other colors.I was the one who made the offer five years ago when times were better and things were more inflated.

Hey Sean: Calling someone once a month for 5 years would seem kinda rude as well!

cd gave you some great points! Listen to the man, he is VERY WELL respected on this site.

I would gladly pay $7000 for what you are describing! I think the round lights /colorado is a great combo. Closer you can get to original the better she becomes in my eyes!

Back east they are all going over $10,000 for rust free Tii's.

-mpkwy

CARS:Past

1966 VW Bug

1971 2002 (BOUGHT IN 1972) (totaled, back in my sordid youth)

1975 2002 (mntgrun (sold)

1973 2002 (Sahara, unmolested, Sold, sniff-sniff)

asst Honda accords and Outbacks

Current:

06 Outback

04 Camry

I think not rude at all, this guy is a procrastinator, he told me he had to do a lein sale so this was the way for me of letting him know I was still interested and to help him to get it done. This is the way I got my Giulia Super and a few others that were sitting for some time.

thankx Mosh,

coffee waiting for you Exit 10 RT 95 BMW DARIEN

I'm about to turn 60,

and I'm good with any misunderstanding.

WE ARE FAMILY

so now that we have good intel - it sounds like

he who waits too long on this tii is the looser.

Colours being more valuable is a no-win discussion.

stay in the shade!!

" the older i get, the faster i was "

19MEpaddockposeOct81Loudon.jpg

I think not rude at all, this guy is a procrastinator, he told me he had to do a lein sale so this was the way for me of letting him know I was still interested and to help him to get it done. This is the way I got my Giulia Super and a few others that were sitting for some time.

I am not sure, but have heard that CA DMV may issue you a salvage title to new owner with lien sale. May wish to confirm with DMV. Sounds like a very nice tii however.

T.R.

Guest Anonymous

If it is a 72 with the plastic pipes little or no rust and an original car that hasn't been messed with, $7k easy. For some reason I seem to remember seeing your 74tii for sale (that had been messed with alot), carbs for fuel injection etc., etc., (malaga) asking $12k at one point? Maybe a different car. Unless it is a correct period improvment (factory part of some sort or ALPINA bit) and sometimes not even then, the minute you "improve" your car you drive the value down. That is of course my opinion and what I see and have seen in the market placeSometimes people foolishly think that because you have $10k into it you are going to get that exact $10k (or more out of it)......NOT. Go check the car out, if it is what you suggest it is probably worth the price. BTW, pretty nice numbers matching 72tii on fleabay right now, Ceylon, factory alloys, a little messing with (292 cam, 320i recaro's) but other than that pretty much stock, not concours but nice. Watch and see where this one ends up.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Condition is everything.

Color is a personal preference and does not increase the value of the car, just because something is 'rare' does not make it valuable. The open market determines value. Sitting for 5 years, expect to replace anything and everything rubber.

You have to keep in mind how much over your 'willing to pay' price are you 'willing to spend' to replace and/or repair everything necessary to make the car road worthy and safe?

In my opinion that is what determines if the price is fair.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Thanks for the sane reply, sorry no cofee waiting for you. Yes, that was my car, although I was asking $8000. It was fuel injected, ITB throttle bodies of some sort I did'nt understand but I guess they were selling for around $1500, not my choice but that is the way I bought it. The nice thing about the car was it did not have any rust that you could see.

Congrats on finding a Colorado 72tii. I have looked at (2) tii's recently. One was a complete rust bucket and the other was nice. Total opposites as far as condition and price.

As mentioned here before, I would not buy any car without laying on your back and knocking at every bit of metal under the car AND using a flashlight and your hands to feel/see the areas around the front turn signals.

$ 7K sounds like a reasonable price, but it is your money and time. Make sure you can live with the color and condition of the car before handing over your money.

If possible, please share at least a couple pictures so we can help you.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

If I liked Colorado, I'd be tracking this one down. But I don't.

Was the engine correctly broken in after the rebuild and before the long sleep? Nothing worse for a tii than to sit for 5 years, and I won't price in a ring job if it has less than 1000 miles on the rebuild. Plus a suction valve or 2 for the kfish (look them up - not cheap for a part the size of a hearing aid battery).

But, the mechanical stuff is easy. If no rust, and all the tii bits are intact, and the dash is uncracked, and you want it, offer the the guy whatever you can, and don't look back.

Good luck!

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged