• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ready to throw money at the situation

dtharp113

This electrical issue has me stymied and ready to take the car into the shop and pay someone to chase the short.

Any suggestions for a shop in the MetroDC area that has experience w/ 2002's electrical system (mine is a 75 and the blinkers no blink, and the #2 fuse keeps blowing - doubtless it's 2 unrelated issues...) or should i drop it back w/ the body shop that did the electrical swap and hope for the best?

I'm running out of time to get the car back on the road...

BTW: if someone wants to make a few bucks helping me chase this -- im happy to keep it in the family. Hit me at dtharp113 at yahoo dot com

TIA

Dennis

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People fear the Government, that is tyranny."

- Thomas Jefferson

take it back to the folks that did the swap first, they should have did a system check before giving it back to you.

Did they swap in another 02 harness or a generic? as Fuse 2 may or may not be related to issue.

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

Dennis - Mark Raspi cured all of my electrical problems.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,352845/

Scooterboy's car is up there, too. So is the Team Otis Race Car. Mark will fix you. www.markraspi.com

I hate to disagree with my friend Marshall, but I've had major issues with Grant of Alexandria Bavarian Service. I would never go there, but reasonable people can differ, of course.

Another prospect, though not particularly convenient, is Quality Car Services in Rockville, now owned by Bob Croker.

As for me, I'd rather try and resolve it myself, as a shop will charge you time and materials to do exactly the same things you're doing. It's all pretty straightforward, but slow (pulling up carpet, taking out underdash panels, chasing wires everywhere and testing them).

David Roach

Molly (Inka 1973 2002)

Bobby (Sapphire 2004 330xi - the new kid)

Root Boy (White 2002 Tacoma)

I will second the Raspi recomendation.Mark Raspi does great work.

Otis,how are you ?

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

JGM,

Give me a buzz tomorrow, I'm back in the hood.

Dennis,

I'm a bit biased as Mark Raspi is a friend of mine but he is a true car nut and damn fine mechanic. If you want to get the details give me a call at work or on the mobile.

KC

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

Thanks for all the input. I've taking a couple days away from the situation so I don't do some permanent damage. Dave Redman is helping me out this sunday so that'll be a big help.

Did discover that the hazard switch is not connected -- there's a lead just dangling in the wind and there are a couple of loose wires under the dash so... obviously that's the issue.

Just have to figure out which wire connects to the hazard switch and I should be in good shape.

Now I just have to figure out what the heck to do about the defrost vents that didn't get installed into the dash (that now has a brand new windshield in place!).

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People fear the Government, that is tyranny."

- Thomas Jefferson

Dennis,

I think the hazard switch is a big round plug, the turn signals run through that switch. The turn signals will not worky if the hazard switch is not plug in.

Pull the windshield, put the vents in, put the windshield back it. That is the only way you will get it right.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Dennis,

I think the hazard switch is a big round plug, the turn signals run through that switch. The turn signals will not worky if the hazard switch is not plug in.

Pull the windshield, put the vents in, put the windshield back it. That is the only way you will get it right.

You're correct -- fortunately the console isn't installed so it's easy to get to everything. There are 2 loose wires that have juice flowing so it's a matter of figuring out which one is the right one -- was going over the wiring diagram but frankly, that thing is a whole 'nuther language to me

Re: windshield -- as I have another gasket, I was thinking of cutting the windshield out, pull the dash and drop in the vents, and have VA Glass re-install the glass.

Unfortunately, time isn't on my side which creates it's own set of stressors (like I need anymore!).

- Thomas Jefferson