• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

behr ac into 72tii

cxzsaq

I can't use the ac pulley from the non-tii car?

I have a tii A/C crank pulley I removed from my spare 72tii engine- send me an e-mail to discuss it. I also have the bottom plastic timing cover that has been cut-out for the V-belt.

I will bead blast it at work.

pics1242010015.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

If you have the tii-specific pulley, then retrofit becomes the same as retrofit into any 2002, which is to say that it's a fair amount of work. I have an old post where I itemized what it takes. Be aware that even if you buy a whole system out of another car, unless you know it was working, you're going to wind up replacing the compressor and most of the hoses.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Jim could you email me I just have a question about the pulley you have. Not trying to highjack yours from a potential buyer. Just a question.

Thanks,

Pat

E-mail sent Pat.

Jim Gerock

Key Reasons Not To :

as T.Hack M. stated above = buying 30-year old A/C parts is

worse than wearing your brothers 1-year old underpants, UNWASHED!.

Hoses become porous, compressor bearings get rough, fail,

metal particles distributed through out the system, stuck to

the walls of the hoses, traped inside the dryer, expansion

valve, condenser, evaporator - and all those other

components fail from fracture cracks..... about the only

'clean' used part would be the compressor bracket, and

the plactic consol with vents! And on a good day after

it's installed, you'll feel new vibrations and noises from

yer motor, add under hood heat stressing your already

marginal 30-year old cooling system.

And add weight, and lessen your already lousy city MPG's.

It sucks power from yer motor. Open the windows mate.

Not a prudent thing to attempt. Put your

money to new tires, suspension

overhaul, or donate to your

local Hospice.

It will be

better spent.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

C'mon C.D.

Some folks who live in hot/humid climates need A/C in their rides. Why do you think so many street rods have modern A/C systems?

Here is what I would do:

Use the Behr console with fan and evaporator coil.

Have new hoses made up (compatible with new refrigerant)

Purchase new bracket (FL guy here on FAQ)

Use Sanden compressor

Install new drier/receiver

Re-use Behr cooling fan and relays

Locate either a good used or newer condensor coil

This is not a cheap project, but it can be done. The Behr installation manual has good instructions and graphics (including templates for cutting the hose holes in the firewall and bulkhead).

To me, the worst part of the 2002 A/C systems is that they are designed to recirculate the air inside the cabin. You must close off the fresh air duct at the heater box to make cold air.

pics6262010011.jpg

2010VintageAirCatalogwebhi-resPage68.jpg

2010VintageAirCatalogwebhi-resPage57.jpg

Jim Gerock

Actually I wasn't trying to talk him out of it at all. I love having a/c in my older cars. It dramatically increases my enjoyment of the cars. I was just giving a dose of reality that unless the donor car has documented, bona-fide working a/c with a replacement compressor and working hoses, the odds that it is "complete" in the sense of "this is everything you need and it is all ready to bolt in" are virtually zero.

Also, because an a/c system is physically distributed between the engine compartment and the interior, and because the nature of the work is split between mechanical installation, plumbing, wiring, and a/c tech (leak detection, evacuation, and recharge), the entire job is more work than, say, installing an engine and transmission, IMHO.

If it is approached as "I have to get a/c into this car before I need to use it to drive my family to the in-laws next month," it will be the biggest headache known to backyard mechanics.

But if it is approached Zen-like, meeting the project on its own terms, over a winter, one segment at a time, it can be quite enjoyable.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

c.d.'s admonition to simply drive around with no A/C and roll the windows down illustrates the fact that he's never spent a summer in an '02 in Southern Arizona, or, for that matter, probably never in Southern Florida, Texas, or New Mexico.

Yesterday in Phoenix was 118º (official temp), 111º in Tucson, and, if your '02 is your only car, you don't want to be driving around with no A/C and the windows down.

I've been driving my '75, with Behr A/C, in Southern AZ for the past 30 years and the A/C has served me quite well. Had to replace the Sanden compressor after it failed after 22 yrs of flawless service, but, other than that, and the accompanying new dryer and recharging, I've never had a problem.

Spend some time in another man's shoes before making blanket statements would be my humble advise.

Bob Napier

post-830-13667645414526_thumb.jpg

I've driven a '74 tii with just 17,000 miles on the clock,

with air cond - and it sucked! for all the reasons

I stated above. If I owned that car,

removing all the A/C stuff be the first UPGRADE.

We don't ride our motorcycles when it snows in the winter.

So you folks living in ovens should also park your

not-designed-for-airconditioning cars during your

broil season.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

c.d.'s admonition ....Spend some time in another man's shoes before making blanket statements would be my humble advise.

Bob Napier

Couldn't agree more, Bob. I'm new here and can stand to benefit from advice, but already getting worn from the purist ideologues