• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

m42 project

Finally got a motor for my 2002. Unfortunately it came out of an e36, so I need to deal with an oil pan/subframe and intake manifold issues. I attempted to deal with them today but it was way hot out. So I got some other stuff done instead and found out this car is a lot rustier than I though. I also put in the limited slip today. So at least something got done.

I don't know yet what to do about the issue with the subframe... Or what I'm going to do with the intake manifold issue. I don't really have money to pick up the different oil pan nor are there any around here. Has anyone tired to over come the issues with the e36 motor and parts for these cars? And my last question is the e36 tranny bigger than the e30 tranny? Because this one looks much bigger than the tunnel is and from what I can tell people aren't having too much issue with the e30 tranny. So I'm not sure what the deal is here.

Pics, I didn't take any pics of the rust but here are a couple of the project so far.

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

wish my car was still this color!

IMG_1474.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

e30 intake and oil pan off 91 m42 is only way i have found that will work as far as trans fitting none bolt in they all need mods good luck steering and exhuast will also need some mods as well

1975 2002 m42 5 speed 1973 2002 1975 2002 1973 2002tii f/s I love tiis but i love my m42 much more!!

check out my blog, it should answer a few questions you have along the way. I would recommend going dry sump if you can afford it, the oil pan hangs very low and you will cross your fingers over every speed bump. Another tricky part is the steering rack. I just welded in a drop section to clear the trans. If your car was originally an automatic as mine was then the trans will fit in very easily and you can just modify the E30 trans cross member to work with the 2002 tunnel. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or need any parts. I have enough M42 stuff to do another full swap and still have some parts left over.

Thanks for the input. I did a test fit today and obviously the biggest issue was the oil pan, no surprise there. So that will likely be my first project. Going to brace the front of the car then cut it out. Set the motor in place and build the crossmember around the oil pan. How far back are you guys setting your m42's? It looks like the alternator and steering box are the deciding factor there but idk. Maybe I'm missing something. Pics tomorrow, not much to see anyways.

And now I'm thinking the e36 oil pan is going to interfere with the steering box. It doesn't look like there is enough room for the sidetrack the oil pan does. As much as I want to make this oil pan work, I might have to give in to the e30 pan setup..

A couple of reasonable resources are e30tech.com and m42club.com. We have both a 1976 2002 and a 1991 318is. It looks like a nice possibility. I like the '91 m42 intake for good looks over the e36 ones. I think hot and Duluth don't go in the same sentence very often. Lots of relatives in the area. How are you going to work the speedo?

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

Some days Duluth can be terrible. Today and yesterday were really nice though! I got a few things done the past two days, bracing added and crossmember cut out, motor set in place for the most part, and the drivers side motor mount built and bolted on. I also replaced a fiberglass floor pan...not with anything special but with something that will be stronger lol. Tomorrow there is a good chance for rain, but I really want to get the second motor mount sorted out and then the tranny mounts will be super easy, just two holes in the floor to bolt that up. Also my motor ended up with the valve cover about 7" from the core support where the radiator sits.

I don't know what I'm going to do for a speedo. I'm thinking a new gauge for it. Thats at about the bottom of my to do list, but not out of mind. After the drivertain is bolted up I'll be figuring out the driveshaft issue and decide if the shifter needs to be modified for the length. Then theres the wiring, fuel, coolant hoses, etc...

I know pics are a great thing, and I usually wont read unless the pics are good, so I'll try to get some up tomorrow.

If you'd like to drive the car in this lifetime I'd suggest you use the E30 M42 front sump oil pan. The E30 intake manifold will fit better as well.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Maybe my motor is orientated in a different fashion, but my motor mounts are way different than the others I've seen. But I'm making this work. I ran out of wire so I'll have to finish tomorrow, wish I could have used my tig… Maybe if I had a jig and clean metal. Oh well, the lincoln works good. I did take a couple pics though today. Its tight in there, when the mounts are done I'll finish the crossmember and make adjustments with the brake booster and anything else that is tight for clearance.

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

Motor and tranny are sitting in on their own after today! Got not a lot done, I ran into tranny fitment trouble again. Ended up cutting a section out of the tunnel on the passenger side to make it fit. I couldn't use the stock tranny mounting bracket because one side sat at a different level than the other, so I made a basic mount out of the angle iron I had. It'll work. I also had to modify the drag link, the tranny was hitting it too much. I welded angle to the bottom and cut off the top and was very surprised to see it was not a solid tube. I guess I didn't think about it, so it was way easier to do than I anticipated.

I started on the wiring, and am lost as to where to go next with it. I am thinking about what I need to wire in off the new engine harness and ecu, and I don't have a good idea yet as to what I need.

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

Does anyone know what wires I need to connect for the engine harness or where to find out what wires I need to connect? I'm trying to figure this out and am not getting very far. I dropped the car down off the jack stands today and it is leaning to the passenger side quite a bit, I think maybe the rear spring is goofed up. But at least I got it moving around again.

I can't get the stock slave cylinder off! Its stuck on the 02. So I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do about that. What are you other m42 guys doing for this anyways?

I also need to measure for a driveshaft. I called the local driveshaft place and they said they don't think they will be able to do work on it because these usually don't have pilots on the ends and that they are friction welded? I don't know, I'll probably bring them the shafts after I get a measurement.

I'm hoping to start the car this week, MAYBE driving next week.

Fuel pump mounted and most of the preliminary wiring done. Just a couple more to hook up and I'll be able to at least try and start it. Tomorrow I plan to work on getting the drive shaft sorted out and do the smaller tasks like that to finish this up. Did not reach my goal today, I really wanted to fire it up

Things done today, the list isn't long but its important: shifter mounted, headers cut so they will at least fit so I can bolt up the motor and build off of them, driveshaft at the shop for flange swap, tranny bracket finished being welded and then bolted up, finished the wiring for the fuel pump, fuel lines finished, and of course the test startup!

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

I still need to actually mount the radiator, get hoses to hook it up, couplings or something to hook into heater core, build the rest of the header, wire up a couple more things, figure out a throttle linkage to cable adapter, get a clutch line built as I broke my rusty old one today (probably a good thing), mount my battery in the trunk, and just clean things up. Not too bad really, not anything difficult compared to what I've just done over the past few weeks. I'm excited x10

yep its in there. I may run metal lines to the fire wall, but the fuel pump needs to be lower than the tank, and if its under the car it'll be hanging way down. So thats pretty much the best place to mount it in terms of that. I can't recall ever seeing any fuel lines burst or anything of the sort, and not with any project I've done, so I'm not too worried about it. Thanks though.