• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition Tumbler replacement help

car_cursed

Though I can't think of an easy way to remove and reinstall the lock assembly you have, I can recommend another way to install it next time that may save you or someone else a bit of pain and frustration:

I tap the hole with threads and use a small set screw (grub screw) instead of a roll pin when I do these. Use blue loctite on the set screw (I've had one get loose over time).

Hope this helps!

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I tap the hole with threads and use a small set screw (grub screw) instead of a roll pin when I do these.

Paul Wegweiser

+1, I did the same but just used a short self-taping screw, worked like a charm and fully reversable.

IMG00137-20110210-1104.jpg

Edward

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Does the key turn the tumblers with the ignition tumbler in hand?

The hole the roll pin sits in has a bottom in the example I have in front of me. The roll pin should bottom out.

As stated - most folks use a screw.

I have a matching set of ignition and door handles and two extra keys.

I'm dealing with a broken key. Let's chat.

tbrduc at verizon dot net

I'll get back to you, i'm having a bit of trouble drilling it out right now and may just need to replace the whole assembly.

Does the key turn the tumblers with the ignition tumbler in hand?

The hole the roll pin sits in has a bottom in the example I have in front of me. The roll pin should bottom out.

As stated - most folks use a screw.

it did turn before i put the pin in.

I think i just hammered it in too far, i can get the key all the way in but it will not turn. I'll chalk this up to a lesson (fortunatly cheap) learned.

any one have tips for drilling it out, i have the 7/64 bit but am making no progress, i think i am going to try and us the step up method going from 3/64 eventually to the 7/64.

I drilled out the old broken one easily last time.