• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much rust on rear shock tower is too much

BhamMax

Have a lead on a well-priced '74 2002. Owner says only rust is "some rust in rear shock towers, but not too bad." He's only owned the car for 2-3 year and does not sound too mechanically inclined.

I'm new to 2002s, but understand from this fine forum that this is a problem area. So - how much rust is too much rust? If all else is sound, is there some price point where "some rust" makes it economical to repair rather than pass up the vehicle?

The problem with the shock towers is that if you can see an issue from inside the trunk, then the underside is probably really bad. Knock really hard all around any metal areas and crawl all around under the car with a flashlight before making your decision. Replacement sheetmetal (new) isn't cheap, let alone the labor to install it.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

That's tough- as Jim says,

if there's SOME rust, there's going to be MORE rust.

If you can see it in the towers, you can run a screwdriver through it.

I've cut cars apart that had a few bubbles- and that was it.

I've also cut similar ones apart that had 'a few more' and

they were rusted almost to falling apart.

I guess it comes down to how much of a gamble you want to take-

for $500, it's no biggie, but for a 2500 car around here, you should

be able to still find one that's not showing rust.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL