• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 02 Owner!

Zorac

I am a new 02 owner and am looking for some advice!

The cas i picked up has roughly 200,000 miles on it and a number of oil leaks. I plan on working on it over the winters and drive it during the summers. I plan on keeping the original m10 engine and 4 speed tranny that are in it.

My questions are:

-with an engine rebuild on the horizon (although its not blowing blue yet, its probably only a matter of time, and at very least the oil leaks need to be addressed), i want to build for 130hp with a high compression engine and a 50hp shot of nitrous, what engine/drivetrain internal parts should be upgraded from their stock components? in all my reading and searching the forum and google, the engine/drivetrain seems very capable of 200hp. do i need to consider con rods? bearings? etc or is oem everthing else fine? new pistons, new cam, stronger valve springs / rockers and an upgraded clutch seem to be the only items in need of upgrade for engine internals to do this.

-secondly, the transmission howls like its in reverse like my old ford did for every gear so i presume the output bearing is on the way out? time to rebuild it as well or is this normal?

Thanks!

Nitrous? Why not just turbo it... If you're going for power run some fuel injection AND build the motor with a 292 cam, 9.5:1 Pistons and some other goodeies. That should bring ya a pretty fair HP # so you wont need the NOS.

Also that howl could be your center bearing going out.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

budget dictates that improvements be phased in unfortunately, meaning any non internal upgrades will be a winter or two off, and i don't want to be left with a low compression engine and no turbo for an extend period of time!

FI was something i was considering as well, but it seems to be a bit of an art to find all the right parts to make it work. i dont want to preclude the possibility of nitrous by a choosing the wrong bearing or con rod when i have it all apart though!

gotta make sure the civics can't embarrass me at the track!

budget dictates that improvements be phased in unfortunately, meaning any non internal upgrades will be a winter or two off, and i don't want to be left with a low compression engine and no turbo for an extend period of time!

FI was something i was considering as well, but it seems to be a bit of an art to find all the right parts to make it work. i dont want to preclude the possibility of nitrous by a choosing the wrong bearing or con rod when i have it all apart though!

gotta make sure the civics can't embarrass me at the track!

Well congrats on your car...and maybe research the 02 and performance mods...if you wanna keep up with Vin Diesel then you may have bought the wrong car....The 02 is an amazingly fun and well handling car...you get an adrenalin rush at low speeds because you FEEL it. You can by all means make a very quick and rewarding 02 with the M10 and it will be a blast to drive, but trying to keep up with modern, fuel injected, turbo'd and supercharged cars is not easy, unless you go with a modern, fuel injected, turbo'd engine. The M10 is an 8 valve SOHC 2 liter motor. Its got potential and is nearly indestructible, but its not a 300hp motor without ALOT of work internally. Drive the car, build it up and track it...you may not care how fast the Civics are going, especially with the huge grin on your face at the end of the day. A wise man told me once, "You wanna go faster, get a faster car....". With that said...again Congrats and welcome!

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

nitrous doesn't mean i want to be just like vin diesel, my fast and furious days are long behind me. assuming i stick with carbs instead of FI, nitrous is the easiest way to add big hp.

nitrious is excessive, of little use on a track day, but it does makes me smile... :P

priority 1 is to fix all the immediate issues so i pass safety

priority 2 is to rebuild engine/drivetrain and keep my options open, plans seems to always change on projects like these.

i dont want a poor choice in part selection now limit me later, ive done that to many times on rebuilds, usually because i just didn't know till later, this time i though id ask the experts before i was elbow deep into it.

Ah ok....well I have not heard of anyone here using NOS in their 02...not that it hasnt been done...just have not seen it.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Congratulations on your 02 :))

I'm with the other guys (and i'm with you) don't do things only half, because you can't do them properly from the beginning on.

The way you're trying to do it now will ALWAYS be a compromise and as you stated you had enough of them yet.

My opinion is: get another engine and build that bit by bit until it is finished the way you want it, i.e. with a turbo, EFI and so on and drive your car as it is until that point. You'll see how much fun even a stock 02 can be. And you can still bring your car with the existing engine up to 130hp while you're building your 200hp engine on the side winter by winter without losing much time or money.

and please, leave the NOS out of that car - that's neither a WWII fighter, nor a 2000's japanese

wow, strong hate for the bottle here! wouldnt of figured that considering how much talk of turbos there is on the forum.

bang for buck, its hard to beat, especially on a carbed engine. and you have to admire how simple it is.

wreaked my own thread before it even started by mentioning it!

back to the orignal question, ignoring nitrous, what needs to be upgraded for a 200hp engine? what stock (engine, tranmsision, and diff) parts wont take that kind of abuse? trial and error isnt my idea of fun.

200hp M10 is a FULL RACE motor....not streetable. Its got a huge cam, giant carbs, bored out and oversized pistons. Its about a 10k build and will give you power at over 7k RPM, but off the line isnt pretty and its not fun to drive around town. A S14 (E30 M3) motor swap gives you 200 hp stock. But thats a $5k motor (used) and a $5k+ swap in labor. The M20 6 cylinder from a 325i is about 160 stock...will mod up to 200 with cam, exhaust, engine mods. M42 DOHC 4 cylinder is about 140 stock, but with Turbo and mods 200 is pretty easy. Sticking with the M10, 150 is the number you should be shooting for. Thats still needs a cam, hi comp pistons, fuel injection or dual carbs, exhaust, hot spark. 200 HP M10 on the street isnt really realistic. The factory BMW 2002 Turbo put out 170.

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Ah ok....well I have not heard of anyone here using NOS in their 02...not that it hasnt been done...just have not seen it.

It has crossed my mind once or twice. I once saw a beautiful Datsun SLR200 that had NO2 plumbed to its dual Mikuni's.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades