• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 4 cylinder Race Conrods

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Conrods are really all I have left to buy in order to finish (or have the parts to finish) my ALPINA (schnitzer) twin cam motor, so I am always keeping my eyes peeled for a deal. My engine builder basically uses Carillo exclusively although their are a number of other really good conrod manufacturers (Pankl, Arrow Precision, Cosworth etc.,). Back in the day Schnitzer, ALPINA and even BMW used re-worked stock conrods in their twin cam race motors, ultimately BMW developed a titanium variant to use in the M12/7 and M12/13 race motors. I have access to some "used" sets of these but as they say used is used and some of these have seen 10,000 Rpm's so no thanks. I posted up a couple of images of the Pankl, ALPINA and stock for comparison. Happy Friday.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2011/06/bmw-4-cylinder-race-conrods-connecting.html

Guest Anonymous
Cosworth etc.

Just letting you know cosworth isn't "cosworth" any more.

Cosworth was bought several years ago by some Champ Car team owners. Essentially to say they run a spec "cosworth" motor. They kept the "brand" cosworth but sold the race engine division to vw/audi which then sold it to mahle.

Cosworth is now shady city with parts sourced from who knows where. It's basically buying product lines from other companies and marketing them under the "cosworth" brand as if they were still hand crafted in england. In the end, they now do "engineering consulting/ marketing" work and have no real engine building facility any more.

I have been using Pauter rods in all of my race engines for the last 10 years or so. They have held up very well, even had one engine loose a oil pump drive belt (dry sump) due to a rock being thrown up into the belt. It ran for almost a half a lap we figure and the crank and rods were BLUE and the bearings were melted out of the big ends but the rods did not fail!! I was very impressed. Pauter keeps them on the shelf (both M10 135mm, and S14 144mm length)

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Guest Anonymous

I have heard good things about Pauter. My engine guy is pretty particular, it was years ago we had this conversation and at that time for some reason he wasn't "diggin" on Pauter, they are almos half as much as a new set of Carillo's which is very appealing. I will have to resurrect that conversation with him to see if he has changed his tune at all. At the end of the day I don't argue too much with him, he know's his sh*t and built a lot of racing engines....midgets, cosworth (BD's), BMW M12/7, Super Bikes, you name it.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Carillo,Pauter,Arrow are all good rods I have used all three and never had a problem but I do like the Carillo best with a EDM hole that oils the pin and I think the 3/8 Carr bolts are better than ARP's. Buy a long rod at least 144mm.

Good luck

John

Cosworth etc.

Cosworth was bought several years ago by some Champ Car team owners. Essentially to say they run a spec "cosworth" motor. They kept the "brand" cosworth but sold the race engine division to vw/audi which then sold it to mahle.

Cosworth is now shady city with parts sourced from who knows where. It's basically buying product lines from other companies and marketing them under the "cosworth" brand as if they were still hand crafted in england. In the end, they now do "engineering consulting/ marketing" work and have no real engine building facility any more.

Not entirely true. I have been to the facility in LA. And yes they still do everything! Including pistons R&D, etc... And they are still awesome!!!!!

Cosworth etc.

Not entirely true. I have been to the facility in LA. And yes they still do everything! Including pistons R&D, etc... And they are still awesome!!!!!

After personally handling some of their nissan VQ/SR stuff and running it. I'd say it doesn't come close to justifying the premium. I'd bet real money their connecting rods are manley and their pistons are JE. Their MLS gaskets were straight copies of a cometic at 2-3x the price. I'm not saying they don't build crazy race cars motors, I'm just saying when cosworth starts selling cold air intakes for subaru's and nissans.. they might have taken their eye off the ball.

After working with carillo, paulters, arrows rods.. would I lump cosworth in with them? No. I'd lump cosworth in with Manley, Eagle, etc. Middle of the road quality parts. Not something I'd stuff in a Schnitzer 20v-4 to go vintage racing.

Though perhaps not popular amongst the purists, I'm running IE's 144mm h-beam rods with good result. They're plenty strong, quality ARP hardware (on one set the big end side clearance seemed a bit tight for a race motor, had them machined to my liking). -KB