• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice - Long Distance Purchase

Jim356

I think I have found the tii I have been looking for. I'm located in Missouri but the car is in California. Could someone tell me how one could arrange some kind of escrow service to hold the money while the car is being delivered? I sorta trust the seller but without the car and title, its a little hard to fork over all that money. Has someone ever done this?....Thank you all - Jim

I would draft up a Bill of Sale and send it to the seller with the terms and conditions - then the seller should sign and send it back to you (pdf via e-mail is easy) along with a copy of the title to the car.

Make sure the seller is on the title - some folks never transfer ownership of vehicles.

Good luck - hope your tii is nice!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

So it passed the pre-purpose inspection?

Is it possible for you to do the transaction in person, get a transfer plate then drive the car home?

When I bought Vern, I worked a paper work and money exchange with the seller. I sent cashiers check over night, signature required, he called to confirm receipt. He sent me the signed title and bill of sale with sale price over night, I called him to confirm receipt.

It takes 3 days for a check to clear, so if I didn't received the title in 48 hours, I told the seller I would put a stop payment on the check. So that worked for me, it was nerve wracking.

There have been a few posts recently regarding escrow companies so I recommend a forum search too.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Escrow.com worked great for me, as was recommended by others. It cost $81 for a $2500 purchase, but was well worth it. I also highly recommend calling Gilbert at Avenderle Transport ( www.avenderletransport.com ) to take care of shipping for you. He has awesome reviews on transportreviews.com , and he was very communicative and helpful for me. He got my '65 Datsun pickup truck from California to Ohio for $900, while other quotes were in the 1100 to 1200 range.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I just did that on a 912... Honestly, if you have the time, it's cheaper to fly and look at it (besides, digital pictures lie), take possession right then and there, put it on a truck and fly home. If not, it's easier to buy closer to home. I've bought 2 cars sight unseen from Cali and one from Vancouver (I flew there), all shipped to FL, what a giant PITA that was for CA, super easy in person in Vancouver...

One of the CA cars generated a horror story for me, nobody's fault but the DMV issued the title with a small mistake 1 vs 7 or something, nothing nefarious, but once the car is no longer in the state of origin, good luck dealing with the DMV there, you are $%#$% ! Title agency, police reports, had to pay tax in CA (ouch) to reissue a title, took ages and lots of stomach acid. Factor in shipping from CA ($$$), and your start wondering... In my case, the inspection was crappy and nobody noticed the car was spliced in the middle and made from 2 cars, too... after you ship it, too late to complain ! So again, go see it or send someone you trust !

So, from recent experience, do get an inspection by someone you trust and who is somewhat qualified to pass judgement, do get a full bill of sale from the seller with his name, your name, a date, and amount on it, at minimum. Also make sure he fills the CA title properly, that includes the part with the odometer reading and signatures everywhere he can.. That was another problem for me...

Side note, I've had no issue with DAS but others have, so I recommend Reliable transporters now, same price as intercity others but faster pickup and just as nice to deal with.

Greg.

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

Guest Anonymous
I think I have found the tii I have been looking for. I'm located in Missouri but the car is in California. Could someone tell me how one could arrange some kind of escrow service to hold the money while the car is being delivered? I sorta trust the seller but without the car and title, its a little hard to fork over all that money. Has someone ever done this?....Thank you all - Jim

It's called don't be a puss Jim.

You're buying a car. Not a house or any other complex financial transaction. As a seller, I wouldn't trust any escrow service. It's only there to create headaches and it shows me that you aren't a committed buyer. Fly out to cali. Look at it. Load it on a truck. Fly back. Take responsibility for the purchase, if you aren't willing to do that or have a friend do it for you, then quit wasting the sellers time and looking at cars 3000 miles away.

The only reason you want an escrow transaction is because you want some level of recourse if it's not what it looks like in the picture. If you're really worried he doesn't have the title then don't buy it no matter how good the deal is. You're not buying the car with a 30day money back guarantee. You're buying the car. Worst thing the seller could ever do is let you ship his car across the country and then you can claim it was misrepresented and he can have it back. Cept he'll have to pay to get his car back from BFE no where missouri.

1. have someone on the board take a look at the car before you do anything.

2. If it looks like what you want put some hand money down on the car w/the intention of flying out to pick it up (CA to MI isn't that bad of a trip is it?).

3. have the car checked out for the drive home before you go.

4. pick it up, pay the rest of the car out, do the paperwork and drive home.

I purchased my 02 from Texas just like this and bought my ti similarly from NC only after an exhaustive and comprehensive exam from Mr. Mike Pugh of Pugh's 02's (who only found fault w/the car b/c it didn't have an s52 in it. ;).

The drive is at least 2/3 of the adventure. you will truly never forget it while you own your car. It's a great way to start a relationship w/a car you will have and enjoy for a long time.

best of luck,

Dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0