• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master cylinder upgrade question

Poon

So I just finished doing the vented rotor/volvo caliper upgrade and while the bite is great compared the older set up, I'm not particularly happy with the pedal travel.

I know my rear's aren't 100% adjusted and I am upgrading to rear wheel brakes (already have the hubs machined, got the rotors, and now just waiting on the caliper mounting brackets.

My question is what is the master cylinder typically used in conjunction with upgraded brakes? My car is a non tii. Can I use a Tii master? Or am I better of using an E12 (5 and 6 series) master cylinder?

Thanks!

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

If you decide to change the master cylinder, you can go with a late 70's 530 master. You'll need a pair of grommets to re-size the reservoir connections to the master. You can order the grommets from Blunt. The 530 master is pretty much identical to the tii master, but substantially cheaper. I've seen them on Rock Auto for $55, versus $200+ for a tii master.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

hey grice...isn't there a ford MC that works? i seem to remember trying that somewhere....LOL!

There's certainly a Ford MC that's sold as a replacement for a 530 MC. Whether it will work or not is up for debate.

To explain the inside joke, our Lemons team had installed a new 530 MC on our tii, and it was found to be defective this past weekend while we were in the paddock at Summit Point. On Sunday morning, Marshall called every supplier and 02er in the region, asking for a 2002, 2002 tii or 530 MC. CarQuest reportedly had one in stock at their Winchester location, so a member of the crew (Mark's girlfriend) zipped off to Winchester (an hour-plus round trip) to pick up the replacement MC. Once we got word from her that she had the MC in hand, we pulled the existing MC in anticipation of a quick installation, brake bleeding, and return to the track. Unfortunately, upon opening the box that purportedly contained a 530 MC, we found an MC with "Ford" cast into its side. Said Ford MC didn't resemble the 530 MC, so we re-installed the partially functional 530 MC--a process which took approximately 3 hours. Don't ask.

We never gave the Ford MC much of a chance, so I can't say for certain that it won't work. I can say with some certainty, however, that I doubt it would have taken as long to get the Ford MC to work as it did to get the second driver's front hard line threaded into the MC. What an incredible debacle.

Grice

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”