• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flex Disc, clutch M/C, and distributor mayhem

Wewo

So this is my very first project blog and im pretty excited to show you guys what my lil 2-2 has put me through. So, i will start from the day of June 20, 2011; I just dropped off my mentor who teaches me about these cars and as soon as i was about to leave the apartment complex he lived in, i heard a "CLING!" and the car started to roll back. Even when you put it in gear the car still rolled back. I started laughing cuz i know what the porblem was, the flex disc just collasped on me and it was already on the verge of collasping because all the rubber insullation around the bolts were gone. So that was my fault. . .lol. Oh the crazy thing about it is that the part is coming in today, and this happen last night. I called my mentor and told him what happen and he came out side to help me puch the car in the parking lot.

Now on to another matter, for those of you who know when i replaced the clutch S/C and the brake cylinders at the same time. . .well now the clutch M/C needs to be replaced. Some of you already told me that if that one is gone then its partner is that far behind him to being replaced. Now the hydralic system had pressure but the master cyclinder was not feeding enough fluid to the slave cylinder and sometimes when i go into reverse the car will start to idle a little lower than usual and the shifter would get stuck. I have to turn the car off and start the process over again, yeah that was annoying.

And the third thing is the points(distributor). This would randomly happen when i start the car, even when i give it time to set itself to its idle point, it would still cut off on me when i start to drive the car. It would seem like its running out of gas but it has gas in there. I will be posting pics soon to show you guys the flex disc thats up under now.

Cars are not just machines but a machine we have given life.

Okay i just found out that its no quick easy fix for the flex disc. . .sigh oh well, and we also got the car over to the shop a few days ago. Hoefully tomorrow i can start on the repairs this Monday and be out by the next day, tryin to finish get all my school stuff straight before the end of the month.

post-18931-13667645096518_thumb.jpg

post-18931-13667645098727_thumb.jpg

post-18931-1366764510074_thumb.jpg

post-18931-13667645102905_thumb.jpg

post-18931-13667645104823_thumb.jpg

A guibo isn't that hard to fix that I know of. Unblolt the center bearing I believe and then remove the old guibo. Put the new one on. Bolt to tranny, rebolt center bearing. I've never done one but thats what the process looks like to me. ALSO try bleeding your clutch slave, may help ya out and buy ya some time.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I bled the system more than one time already and i already bought the master cyclinder so ima replace that while im at the shop as well. Everything else on the hydralic system is okay just the clutch M/C is not pumping fluid to the slave.

Things wear out :/ Best of luck!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Okay yesterday on June 27, 2011 we jacked the car up and got ready to fix the flex disc. So we were looking at everything under the car before we replaced it and we saw the CV joint on the differential side was not bolted on. We later relized this was the reason why the car broke down on me that night, the CV joint pop out the differential. And i will get into that later. . .

Now the problem we thought we were going to have was the nigga-rigged exhaust pipe "directly" below the driveshaft and center support bearing. We got over that obstacle and was able to replace the old flex disc with the new one. One fix down and some more to go!

post-17214-13667645198085_thumb.jpg

post-17214-13667645200087_thumb.jpg

post-17214-1366764520214_thumb.jpg

post-17214-13667645204171_thumb.jpg

post-17214-1366764520617_thumb.jpg

Okay the car is home now we put replacement bolt into the CV joint on the differential side. Drove the car and it had a smooth response all the way home. Still have some things to fix, like the points and something else i want to mention but i will upload a photo talking about that. . .i will keep you guys posted.

post-18931-13667645294393_thumb.jpg

post-18931-13667645296427_thumb.jpg

post-18931-1366764529842_thumb.jpg

post-18931-13667645300508_thumb.jpg

hi there,the broken rubber piece above the steering box is called a steering coupler,the originals are very soft,i just replaced mine with a urethane replacement from ireland engineering.you can veiw it on their web page iemotorsport.com. it definitly improves steering,gives it a more solid feel which you will notice most turning at low speed and even more trying to turn on the spot.

73' 2002tii roundie cr 5spd 2751420

My mentor told me that some of the 02's they have at the old shop are junk cars. Lucky for me, im able to get my steering coupler for free. . .lol. So im going to do that today, and see the difference in the driving when its replaced with the new one.

Tryed to replace my master cyclinder to the clutch pedal, but i bought the wrong part. . .:(. So i went ot napa and got my money back. So more importantly the steering coupling needs attention more than anything. Im get on that ASAP

Replace the steering coupler with a new one! You don't want to die! Get the urethane one from Ireland Engineering. It is only like $10.

Also, PLEASE GET THE OEM BOLTS FOR THE CV JOINT! The bolts you are using are of a much lower grade and are not strong enough!!!

Again, you don't want to die driving this car!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the steering coupling from IE motorsport for 20 bucks(not bad i might say). I saw that they have the cv joint bolts for the differential and they cost 70 bucks also flanges included. Besides all that i couldnt drive the car yesterday cuz i pulled out the distributor from in-synch with the timing of everything else so i have to start all over again. . .:( Thank you for the website, im going to be using them for most of my stuff and not bavarianauto. . .

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the steering coupling from IE Motor Sports, and its at my house waiting to be put on but im not at home. . .just keeping you guys informed on the status of my 2-2. . .that is all.