• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 broken into last night..

Cameron

The secret about my broken door lock must have gotten out in my neighborhood, because last night someone took it upon themselves to help themselves to a few items from my car.

I got out to my car this morning and found both windows half way down, and all my stuff laid out on the seats. They took my watch that my girlfriend gave me for christmas, her jacket, a pair of broken sunglasses and my smokes. Interestingly they left my leather jacket on my seat. I guess it didn't fit. I'm kicking myself for leaving my watch in there, I put it in the glovebox on saturday and didn't remember it had been there until today when I was driving home from work.

I really hope I don't find the people who took my stuff...

For now the car is safely parked at work. I've decided I'm going to put in a paging alarm and power door locks, and in the more distant future, move. My nice neighborhood is slowly turning into a ghetto.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

Cameron

that sucks but what's a matter w/your door lock? is it impossible to lock or open with the key? it might be all of the schmutz that people have put in there over the years to help make it 'work' better...

when i got my car my lock was so tight i was scared i was going to break the key. i popped off the interior panel, unscrewed the lock mechanism and soaked it in some parts cleaner and hit it w/an old tooth brush.

lubed it up w/some white lithum and put it back in. she works like a charm.

it's a lot easier of a job than you probably think.

good luck

dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

well ....the pager doesn't work when your inside buildings,

or your response time doesn't match their speed

everyone ignores alarms going off

and door locks just mean that you'll have broken windows

next time

bottom line - do not leave anything visable, or things

you care about, left in the car.

40 years of hearing every story about break-ins,

repairing customers damages,

and experiencing it myself - a theif will hit you if he wants to.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

The most valuable things inside my car (at least to a theif) would be a $40 radio and a $30 fire extinguisher. There's maybe $50 worth of emergency tools in the trunk that some loser might take.

The REAL things of value are the stock items on the car that the theives usually bypass or even break in the process to get something 'of value'.

Luckily, most theives are already stupid.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

this is why i'm moving to the country at the end of the year ..so i don't have to deal with shit like this. or the city telling me i can't have my non-op project car in the driveway (have since moved it to the barn on my land). the anticipation of freedom, and building out my shop, is driving me nuts.

well ....the pager doesn't work when your inside buildings,

or your response time doesn't match their speed

everyone ignores alarms going off

and door locks just mean that you'll have broken windows

next time

bottom line - do not leave anything visable, or things

you care about, left in the car.

40 years of hearing every story about break-ins,

repairing customers damages,

and experiencing it myself - a theif will hit you if he wants to.

+1

Countermeasures don't stop thieves. I saw a demonstration where a thief could disable "the club" with a can of freon in a few seconds.

I had a friend in New Orleans that left his 60's beetle unlocked because he didn't want to deal with a broken window. The car was regularly ravaged (his loose change in the ashtray was constantly gone). They even stole the inspection sticker!

But never broke a window.

But - to add to Ray and Ray - THAT SUCKS!

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Sorry Man...

Not to disparage your girlfriend, but hopefully, it was a shitty watch which only had the correct time twice a day.

Not that it matters... whether a Rolex or a gold tone Timex, the dude probably settled on $40 worth of rock for it.

Leave nothing, lock or leave it unlocked... doesn't matter. Unfortunately, there are just people like that out there. Someday they'll get Cancer...

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

It was a $300 Bulova. Nothing super fancy, but it could have been a $10 Casio and I would be just as pissed at the thief, and at myself.

I could dump money into countermeasures, but that doesn't stop the smash and grab. Obviously I learned my lesson to not leave anything in sight, or in the car.. I've always had a rule with the car that nothing stays in it that I'm not willing to walk away from; it was the fact that I was careless and tired that the watch was left in the glovebox.

On the other hand, I could continue leaving the car unlocked for the simple fact of saving money on replacing broken windows. The only thing I really have in the car right now of any value is the fire extinguisher and my $20 work jacket, things I could care less about. No radio, no electronics, etc. I just don't like the idea of people being able to get into the car.

For now the car is safe at work for as long as I'd like to leave it there. In a few months I'll have my own keys to the shop, so I can park it in surveilled and fenced off side lot. This is also the last place I'll be working at, so down the road I'll keep it in my own shop.

I got careless and let my guard down.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

you know, i had grand plans for a keyless entry, super locking extravaganza. after reading this thread, I think i'm just going to roll lockless and keep my windows intact.

Rear seat is deleted, so I'll just install radio, etc underneath that so as to make it less obvious that anything is in there. everything else of value comes with me on my person. jeep owners have been doing it for years ...

• 2 weeks later...
this is why i'm moving to the country at the end of the year ..so i don't have to deal with shit like this. or the city telling me i can't have my non-op project car in the driveway (have since moved it to the barn on my land). the anticipation of freedom, and building out my shop, is driving me nuts.

Don't count on moving to the country as your security. I'm from the country and my 73 had ~500 worth of stereo equipment and $1500 worth of seats stolen while it was parked outside a shop when I was 14 because the shop left the doors unlocked when they parked it outside. This shop was way back in the country. Meth-heads are everywhere especially in the counrty. it still eats me up everytime I think about it, I worked my butt off at that age to pay for every part myself. Bottom line, garage or boobie traps, claymoores with trip wires around your car seem to do the trick.