• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition Coil Problems

zephyr125

So I had a bit of trouble with my MSD install (I just posted a thread about it actually) and it turned out to be a bad coil, or so I thought. I replaced the coil with a new MSD Blaster 2, and it fired up first try and ran. But after it sat for about four hours it wouldn't start back up. I tested to see if there was a spark and there is none again (before it would turn over but not start, and now its doing the same thing). What would cause the coil to die after one drive? Does the coil need a resistor (MSD 6a box, pertronix, and MSD Blaster 2 coil)?

Link to original thread: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,359458/

'74 2002

'82 R65LS

'98 Audi A4

Marineuro.com

It sounds like you have the exact system I have....Blaster 2 coil, with pertronix. I have had similiar issues....and after frying my initial pertronix....I learned that we MUST have a ballast resistor between the coil and the dizzy.

This might be your problem.

Brett

1974 BMW 2002 Polaris and Chamonix

1969 Chevy Chevelle

www.austinsynthetics.com

** Independent Amsoil Dealer **

You may want to double-check....with the Red and aftermarket coils, I'm 99% sure you need a ballast. You may already have an inline ballast....the pros on this site I'm sure will tell you. There is also a great article in the FAQ section as well.

1974 BMW 2002 Polaris and Chamonix

1969 Chevy Chevelle

www.austinsynthetics.com

** Independent Amsoil Dealer **