• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

xr3000 and coil

pinkey

I have a '73 2002 with the #008 dizzy with a Bosch blue coil, I want to buy the crane system and upgrade my coil. any help on what to buy and where would be much appreciated. thanks!

-Jantz-

Driving a vintage car always makes traveling an adventure.

IIRC, the XR3000 does not need external resisitance (unlike the XR700), so you will not want the Blue Coil or the ballast resistor (if you have a Blue coil, which has internal resistance, you're not likely running the ceramic ballast resistor now). In this case, the Bosch Black coil will work.

There are also aftermarket coils you can use. But, while there is much hype here, in fact, for a mostly stock engine, any of the stock coils are same-same so far as performance is concerned. So just go with the Black Bosch unit.

Follow the directions and be sure to check resistance (Ω) with a DMM beforehand and save yourself some aggravasion.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet