• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear gear for 1600 with 4 speed?

granth

Finally got my 1600 running, it's bit mild/hot street motor JE pistons, knife edge crank, IE valve train,new 1.8 head, 292 cam and 38 carb. It has a 3.64 LSD in it now and seems a bit doggie, not sure I want to go to a 4.10 too much for high use. But will a 3.90 make that much difference from the 3.64? Does the 1600 have that much less torque than the 2.0l to make it feel under power with the 3.64 gear?

TIA

But will a 3.90 make that much difference from the 3.64

Yup- 3.9's a useful jump, mostly because of the stock trans gear ratios.

If you had a 5 speed, then I'd think the 4.10 would be fine.

It might leave you just a bit short- geared with the 4.

...but that's just my opinion- either would WORK fine.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The 1602's came with 4:11 rear gears. Even with your mods the torque is going to make the car seem slow. If you could find a 4:22 with an overdrive transmission you would bee better off. G

yeah the 4.22/4.27 are hard to find, but it does seem that torque is and issue with the 1600 vs the 2.0l motor's...

The secret is to find a 1991/1992 318 auto E30 cabrio diff.

They're rare, but not much sought after, either.

Then you put those 4.27 gears into an E21 LSD, and viola!

(yes. it's a pain in the butt. and not cheap, by the time you're done)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The secret is to find a 1991/1992 318 auto E30 cabrio diff.

They're rare, but not much sought after, either.

Then you put those 4.27 gears into an E21 LSD, and viola!

So you got one of those sitting around, I would love a 4.27 gear set.

I only had to swap out the 3.91 twice today the diff I got off the FAQ a few years ago look good on the bench dry spin test (I did not take a part) howled like a dog! So I put in a welded 3.91 spare from the track car. That really did help the 1600, I have got to think the 4.10 will even be better. I did not have a spare 4.10 until today got to try that next.