Sign in to follow this  
york

thanks for your support, if not 02, then What ?

74 posts / 8199 viewsLast Reply

That black Italian import, with less than 10 K on the OD would have been perfect. -And that was about a year ago. I think it went for close to 40K. It was amazing. The ebay auctioned ended with out hitting reserve, but I understand that a few prospective buyers flew out to make in person offers.

f5c2aa5d.jpg

efd5f086.jpg

york,

For what it's worth it took me a good 1.5-2 years to find the car for me.

craigslist as well as the amazing people on this list will help you find the car for you. You need to ask (like you have been) and just keep looking.

I'm a big fan of crazedlist.org (only works on a firefox browser) what here, bimmers.com/02 and the other boards.

For me the search was well worth the catch.

hang in there. don't loose hope. You'll kiss a lot of frogs before you get 'the winner'.

Dave

Continue looking. Normally when thinking about a vintage purchase unless a car with teh attributes you are seeking just happens to "pop" on the market early in your search time frame, then you have to look at a lot of cars to sort through everything and find the "one".

In the interim, other board members have made some good suggestions already. For the E30 M3, you will most likely have to go through the same search techniques as an 02'. Actually for any used car purchase.

Bang for the buck, which might not be to your taste, I find my 2003 Mini Cooper S to offer many sporting characteristics while still being practical in terms of economy and hauling capacity. You could probably find a fairly nice 05 to 06 example before they changed the engine and body work.

Good Luck!

Garry

I spent 3-1/2 years looking for a good example of a 2002, and I also wanted one that was unmolested. I spend a considerable amount of time on (at least) two long phone conversations with the owner of my '75 Schwarz 2002, who lived in AZ.

Just be patient and you'll find a good example. One thing that helps is to not be hung up on color. The 2002 looks good in any color as long as the body is straight and the car drives like it hasn't been destroyed by previous owners and patched back together. Unfortunately, you have to go drive a car to determine if it's a good one, IMO.

Andy I wish you had bothered to read my post before replying

1. Do not want to do Fixing or project

2. You must have low expectations or low standards towards what a

restored or excellent cond. car should be.

3. You want a cheap car you car work on, fine thats what you

want , I don't

4. Enjoy your rust

thanks but for the 100 th time I do not want to do another project

if you find a pre 74 2002/sunroof/white/blue in mint original stock

condition

not a reasembled previously rusted out

the car must look new ( concours ) 98 point car

NOT MODIFIED

Andy I wish you had bothered to read my post before replying

1. Do not want to do Fixing or project

2. You must have low expectations or low standards towards what a

restored or excellent cond. car should be.

3. You want a cheap car you car work on, fine thats what you

want , I don't

4. Enjoy your rust

With that attitude, you're not going to find a car, much less encourage anyone to help you out with finding one. I sent you a link to a car last week that met, if not exceeded, your standards. It was a 100% original-appearing car that needed nothing for most people to enjoy it. You could have dropped it off at a professional shop before it made its way to your house. A check and a week's time and it would be 100% up to snuff.

But that's the thanks I get?

Not trying to rain on your original parade - but it is going to be tough finding a 1600/2002 that hasn't been fixed or modified after many years of use and multiple owners.

To me, the fun of these cars is actually working on and driving them. Every time I take my tii out it makes me feel better.

The E36/E46 cars are fantastic, but there is something about the old, smelly horse hair seats, HUGE steering wheel, funky clutch and greenhouse expanse of an old BMW that makes you want one.

think you are missing our point york.

we get it. you don't want a project. (and you writing that in repeated posts in a row is pretty rude.) what you are missing is that you have a basically unlimited budget. you have spent over a year looking for an extremely narrow set of requirements. you have spent a bunch of cash looking at cars. folks here are suggesting YOU don't have to do a project to get what you want. buy a car and deliver to one of the named restorers. get car back in a few months exactly like you want it. did YOU do a project? NO! all you did was write two checks. someone else did the project for you. you could have had exactly the car you wanted a long time ago.....

almost sounds like the only way you will be satisfied is to go to a bmw dealer and order something from bmw individual. and yes, i heard that you don't want a new bmw, but you are going to have the same "too high standards" or "no projects" problem with any kind of used car you are looking for.

glws(earch)