• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gordon, CA black plate, 2 years late, but ...

Gurmail

I've owned my 1968 1600 for 2 years now, at a time I didn't of the existence of this forum. I've been a member only for the past few months. However, last week I found out that my car was the point of 2 brief discussions, both initiated my Gordon, (then of Santa Barbara, CA) which are listed below:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,326239/highlight,black+plate/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,325337/highlight,black+plate/

So, Gordon, this is the series of events:

I bought this car by "accident" on my son's 16th birthday, after forgetting to get him a present. I came across this car on ebay and got my son to offer a price which I bid accordingly, thinking I'd be outbid. After lunch, I was surprised to find a congratulatory message from ebay, and I told my son that he just got his 16th birthday present.

During that week, we drove up to Sonoma to pick the car up from a warehouse which also stored several beautiful American classic cars. We also spent a few days at the Russian River, during which time about half a dozen people stopped by to talk about the car. It was then, that I realized that this was more than just a car.

On Sunday, July 26, 2009, my son and I were driving southbound on the 101 to bring the car to its new home. A gentleman passed us in his silver 5-series and through his open sunroof, gave us a thumbs-up and a smile. So, Gordon, you passed my 1600. Your kind gesture brought a smile to my son.

Since owning the car, its been worked on consistently to renew/refurbish its 40 year-old condition. Practically every bolt/nut/washer/bracket has been either refurbished or replaced. The paint is mostly original with the exception of the driver door which had been repainted, according to the inch thick pile of receipts that the then 93 year-old PO had saved. Going through that stack is like going through historical archives. He saved every receipt since new.

The car has been kept to its original specs, runs very well and will probably do so for many years to come. The only modifications/upgrade I've made are minor and reversible, basically H4 lighting, front/rear fog lights and some interior enhancements.

To so many here who have unselfishly offer their knowledge and expertise, I offer my sincere gratitude.

Here's the photobucket link to some of its pictures. Some of them are before/after kinds. I hope you'll enjoy them.

http://s1183.photobucket.com/albums/x463/BMW_1600/

Thanks,

Gurmail

1968 BMW 1600

Gurmail,

I look forward to seeing your sweet looking 1600 in person. I'll be back to the central CA coast (Pismo Beach/AG area) in mid OCT. Hopefully you'll bring your 1600 to the So Cal Vintage BMW show to Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA on 15 OCT. Just watch for details about the show in the coming months on this forum. I'm planning on flying into LA, picking up one of my cars from storage and being at the show.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Gurmail,

I look forward to seeing your sweet looking 1600 in person. I'll be back to the central CA coast (Pismo Beach/AG area) in mid OCT. Hopefully you'll bring your 1600 to the So Cal Vintage BMW show to Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA on 15 OCT. Just watch for details about the show in the coming months on this forum. I'm planning on flying into LA, picking up one of my cars from storage and being at the show.

G-Man

Gordon, they moved the date to October 29th, you have more time to get back from the "Sandbox". A caravan from the Central coast would be cool.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Gordon,

I live only 30 mins north of the AG area. It'll be a pleasure to meet with you in the near future when you get back to the area. I just attended my son's graduation from Morro Bay High School yesterday. He's finally become a man.

Also, will look forward to the Van Nuys show on Oct, and as Steve suggested, a caravan from the Central Coast seems like a good idea. I've never had the pleasure of seeing another 02 up close.

Gurmail

1968 BMW 1600

Great to "see" this car again, being cared for and loved. Congrats on the work you've done so far, looks/sounds great. Hope to see it in person/meet you in Van Nuys in October!

I'll second the notion that you should pay Rob Torres' 2002Haus a visit. It's a veritable 002 wonderland. :)

http://2002haus.com/

Cheers,

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

This is not the "pristine" car the pictures may show it to be.

I did meet with Rob just after I got the car to purchase some items he had listed on his website and in the hopes of having him involved in rebuilding the car, but our discussion that day did not convince me he was too interested in my project. Perhaps he just wasn't in the mood that day or that I didn't present the plan properly to him. I hence decided to do most of the work myself. I know that Rob has an excellent reputation on this board, and I'm sure he knows 02's very well and does very good work on them. Nothing written about him on this board has ever been to the contrary. I will call on him again to help maintain the project for the long run.

In the meantime, my sincere thanks to CD (for his relentless pursuit of perfection and authenticity), Mike Self, Bill Williams, Bob Napier, Mars, Chris Blumenthal, Corey Hofheinz, Steve (Blunt Works) and many others who have helped and guided me in my endeavor.

I look forward to meeting the SLO County folks soon, if not at least in Van Nuys in Oct.

Gurmail

1968 BMW 1600