• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nor Cali Newbie and his first 02 (pictures included)

wonderhead

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to introduce my self and get some feed back and insight on the 75 02 i bought recently.

The purchase was purely out of enjoyment, so I'm not super concerned about end value if I end up with something that I love to drive and is functional. (but wouldn't mind hearing back about ideas on its value)

This is my first 02 and Im pretty excited about it. I did a little research before the purchase and knew all the spots to check for rust and am happy to say that its rust free.

I picked it up for $3,800 including the original black recaro-style leather seats (which are in perfect condition) and a NOS exhaust system (there is a really loud perfomance style muffler on it now) and an A.C. unit that is sitting in the trunk.

The engine and tranny were both rebuilt last summer as well as a double barrel weber carb put it in (which needs some adjustment.)

The previous owner put a lot of time an money into this one, and while I appreciate his theme, my goal would be to get it back to as close to original as possible. (I'm not a big "racing stripes" guy).

After a little hunting around I found the VIN number: 2362281. (I found this info in the forum, but have no clue what any of it means: Mod 75 1974 Jul-74 Dec-74 2-360-001 2-362-725 2725

So here are some of the things I will be working on as time and money provide:

Repaint to original color (how do I find the original color?)

Re-Install original seats.

Tune up carb (fairly poor gas mileage right now)

Find matching rims and replace tires (one side is the silver ones shown, the other side are black. Tires are cracked but have been fine around town.)

Tinker with the electrical - trying to figure out why my blinkers won't blink, maybe the relay switch?

Strong Fuel Smell - I replace the fuel filler neck that was cracked, but still smell gas pretty bad if I fire off the line or break too hard. Not sure where thats coming from.

Big Bumpers - whats up with the big bumpers and is it possible/safe to remove them.

Enough talk, here's some photos:

side.jpg

front.JPG

back.JPG

inside.JPG

engine.JPG

Look forward to connecting here, and let me know if there is anyone around the Redding, CA area.

Thanks,

Dave

-----------------------------------------------------

I used to think I might be in over my head.

Now I'm sure of it.

You should be able to find the original color stamped on your VIN tag, which should be on the passenger's side fender under the hood. Happy driving!

In place of the normal looking VIN tag is this metal plate:

photo%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

not sure what that means. . .

Now I'm sure of it.

That looks like a normal looking VIN tag, sans paint ;-)

The tag showing color should be above that, or in the vicinity, tho you would have seen it had it been there!

BMW Mobile Tradition can tell you the original color if you provide the VIN. Someone will chime in with that email address.

Good price!

Cheers,

Ray

You should be able to find the original color stamped on your VIN tag, which should be on the passenger's side fender under the hood. Happy driving!

In place of the normal looking VIN tag is this metal plate:

photo%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

not sure what that means. . .

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

For the turn signals not working, check the hazard switch.

run a wire from the following terminals on the hazard switch pluggerinner:

Violet/WhiteStripe + Green/VioletStripe

My car didn't have the hazard switch in it so i had to do that for a while till i found a switch. If they don't work still then its probably the relay.

Congrats on your first 02.

Erik

bmw2002walnut,st_opt (1).jpg

74' 2002

I've seen this car several times around town now, was wondering if it was going to pop up on the forums. Not a lot of 2002s in the Redding area but I have several and so does my father in law.

I'll be driving my sahara to work daily all next week so keep an eye out if your downtown. Shoot me an email if you need help with anything.

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002

"Strong Fuel Smell - I replaced the fuel filler neck that was cracked, but still smell gas pretty bad if I fire off the line or break too hard. Not sure where thats coming from."

You can get a lot of fuel smell in the passenger compartment from the trunk, so start there.

1. If it's stronger with a full tank, I'd suspect the o-ring that seals the sender unit/fuel pickup to the gas tank. It's a special O-ring that swells when it contacts gas, so don't get one from the hardware store. Order from dealer or from Blunt on this board. A $2 part. Check archives for installation tricks.

2. Examine carefully the braided hose that connects the plastic fuel line with the gas tank. Bet if it's original it's seeping...hard to tell from the outside 'cause the braid covers the cracked rubber hose. Replace with modern fuel hose and clamp it in place.

3. Check the vapor recovery system and its hoses--the plastic canister in the trunk and its attendent hoses, plus the grey metal canister in the engine compartment and its hoses.

4. Of course check the main fuel line that runs to the fuel pump and carb to insure it's not old or leaking--check clamps for tightness.

cheers and welcome to the fraternity/sorority

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

"Strong Fuel Smell - I replaced the fuel filler neck that was cracked, but still smell gas pretty bad if I fire off the line or break too hard. Not sure where thats coming from."

You can get a lot of fuel smell in the passenger compartment from the trunk, so start there.

1. If it's stronger with a full tank, I'd suspect the o-ring that seals the sender unit/fuel pickup to the gas tank. It's a special O-ring that swells when it contacts gas, so don't get one from the hardware store. Order from dealer or from Blunt on this board. A $2 part. Check archives for installation tricks.

2. Examine carefully the braided hose that connects the plastic fuel line with the gas tank. Bet if it's original it's seeping...hard to tell from the outside 'cause the braid covers the cracked rubber hose. Replace with modern fuel hose and clamp it in place.

3. Check the vapor recovery system and its hoses--the plastic canister in the trunk and its attendent hoses, plus the grey metal canister in the engine compartment and its hoses.

4. Of course check the main fuel line that runs to the fuel pump and carb to insure it's not old or leaking--check clamps for tightness.

cheers and welcome to the fraternity/sorority

mike

Thanks Mike, Im going to start with the o-ring. The one that is on there has either given up the ghost or is not the right one. I'll see if I can track one down from Blunt.

Now I'm sure of it.

I've seen this car several times around town now, was wondering if it was going to pop up on the forums. Not a lot of 2002s in the Redding area but I have several and so does my father in law.

I'll be driving my sahara to work daily all next week so keep an eye out if your downtown. Shoot me an email if you need help with anything.

Thats awesome. I live 5 minutes from downtown - but I guess everyone in Redding does. :)

Now I'm sure of it.

For the turn signals not working, check the hazard switch.

run a wire from the following terminals on the hazard switch pluggerinner:

Violet/WhiteStripe + Green/VioletStripe

My car didn't have the hazard switch in it so i had to do that for a while till i found a switch. If they don't work still then its probably the relay.

Congrats on your first 02.

Erik

Man, it looks like a rats nest of wires under the dash. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks.

Now I'm sure of it.

If you want a set of stock seats then I have a mechanically great set that need to be recovered, they are tan with a couple splits. I am planning to just toss them so they are yours if you want em.

We also have a couple parts cars that are destined for the crusher so let me know if you need random little stuff, if it is something that is still on the car that means you can probably have it for free.

As far as bumpers, I love the no front bumper look so I just took mine off and put on an airdam, I plan to tuck in the rear bumper but haven't had time yet. Tucking them in is really easy but you could always replace them with early bumpers instead, Ireland Engineering also makes a fiberglass replica for a relatively low price.

Glad to have another 02'er in the Redding area, I randomly see a couple others around town but I don't think they have any interest in the community aspect of ownership.

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002

Hey Guys,

So here are some of the things I will be working on as time and money provide:

Repaint to original color (how do I find the original color?)

Re-Install original seats.

Tune up carb (fairly poor gas mileage right now)

Find matching rims and replace tires (one side is the silver ones shown, the other side are black. Tires are cracked but have been fine around town.)

Tinker with the electrical - trying to figure out why my blinkers won't blink, maybe the relay switch?

Strong Fuel Smell - I replace the fuel filler neck that was cracked, but still smell gas pretty bad if I fire off the line or break too hard. Not sure where thats coming from.

Big Bumpers - whats up with the big bumpers and is it possible/safe to remove them.

Dave

wonderhead,

nice purchase! i definitely think a repaint is in order. i've never been a fan of racing stripes...esp double! you can affectionately name your car "pepe le pew" though :P

im a relatively new owner too and alot of your questions have been answered but i'll give you a few links and opinions:

Seats: I'd keep them and try to repaint them black. Recaro seats are so much better. If they are leather, call some companies up like Leatherique and get their advice. www.leatherique.com. I will be dyeing my saddle colored Flofits black soon. if you go original, the seats merely sit on the stock rails. 4 bolts and your done.

Carb tuning: first, i would check and replace all the fuel lines in the engine bay. i have just replaced what's in reach and that made a huge difference. that will help you too on the fuel smell. i am almost done w/ my project to get rid of the fuel smell. as far as carb tuning, what kind of carb do you have?

blinkers: first, check the fuse. then change out all the bulbs in the head and tail lights. just bite the bullet ($50) and do it. good time to clean and refresh the gaskets and silver/chrome in the tail lights too. replace the blinker w/ an EL13 from Tridon. Links:

http://www.my2002tii.com/taillight_how-to.htm

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,354634/highlight,flasher/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,327521/highlight,/sid,03677e7b876846e3959aafa6a5939d35/

Fuel smell- wow theres so many links i've collected. heres a few:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,319234/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,333141/highlight,/sid,b8358d4252b98800338e43b77d4e47a0/

http://2002tii.org/kb/420

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/p,733656/highlight,/sid,4d1587fba9d01897e15dbd56e4befa32/

Big bumpers: gotcha, i'm there with ya. i plan to shorten mine up or find an older style bumper. shortening links:

http://www.my02.com/pages/2002.htm

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,336367/highlight,shorten/sid,91fa6c629d9d334b47a12c40fb7675d8/

You migth consider adding a third brake light. I installed an 8" LED strip. Search my posts you find it or just search LED third (or 3rd) brake light.

Hope that helps,

Bob